Clear All

Re: Tools and Equipment

Originally posted by Astra Dan View Post
    Superb!

Thanks

Did a little Friday night and today, mostly done now

Welded a cap/lever bit to filler bung.

Media blaster by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Any parts where the 1/2 bsp galv pipe has the rubber hose on, have been grooved with the grinder to give a better bite. I hope..

Then onto the grit valve, I'd been giving this much thought. My experience of the cheap ebay pressure pots (borrowed one before) has found that using a normal ball valve to control the grit is rubbish, they wear out the side quickly and don't control the flow very well at all..

I had been looking at this with much interest. http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=28960 But with out a lathe might be difficult to do.. I did think about using a all steel Gate valve, but the price put me off really that and would probley jam up.. Again did think about making one (Gate valve) and had a muck about with bits of steel, could be done but was a lot of work.

Then it occurred to me to find out what sort of valve our blaster at work runs, as it does indeed work very well. Seems to be a rubber lined grit valve, much like this http://www.milessupply.com/product.p.../30/prodid/660..

With that in mind I went to a wedding and got pished, while relaxing with a cigar I had a idea.. I can make that quite easy and wont have to worry about seal's on the adjustment shaft ect..

Basically a bit of blast hose inside some steel tube and a G clamp welded in place, I added a turn wheel to make it easy I think it was off a cam chain drive perhaps..

Not too sure how well it will last but, can be rebuilt in a few minutes with new hose and can regulate a very fine amount. Also can open up quickly to clear a blockage ect, I suspect it will last quick well really much better than using a ball valve..

Then popped it all together and added some paint, still needs wheels or castor's when I find some in the shed.. Being all 1/2 tube it can flow a big CFM if I chance upon a cheap diesel road compressor set

Made a little holder up for the blast nozzle, I will be using a 2.5mm carbide one at first. Then when both compressors are running a larger one can be sorted.. This one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAND-BLAST...item4ac71dfbae

Will just be held in with a olive, not too sure how well it's going to work at the moment. But I can sort a better holder out later on, so when that nozzle is here it can be tested. Though have run some air into it and it's all good so far..

The waxoyl one is just waiting for the ball valve's and 1/8 bsp tap to finished up as well..

Future plans for the blaster if it's all ok are a electro or pneumatic dead man handle and air supply feed valve, having a 2nd blow valve to dump the pot's air would be good too.
    Last edited by BenH; 21-07-2013, 05:18 PM.
    Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Well success and failure in equal measures on the waxoyl front

The valves I just brought leak, never mind I'll send them back and fit some better ones..
      The regulator out of my box of bits, does not regulate! You adjust the top and the gauge moves, but the output stays the same! I'd say fair enough if they were cheap ones, but are EU made Parker's.. Made me think the Plasma has the same reg as well, checked that same problem too! That might explain the rough cut then! They are correct way round and the correct ports are in use, next time China cheap ones at least they work ffs!

The good part though was testing with water (saves mess) Yeah it works well, have the fluid to a trickle and bang some air in and you get a powerfull mist..

Comment

So with some much better valves out the magic box, this time brass gate type rather than plastic ball valves but added some 1/4" BSP to 6MM pushfits..

It works! Hope it works as well with the waxoyl, need to experiment with thinning ratios first. Also need to give the pressure pot a proper clean out as there is s little swarf in there and crud/rust from the bottom of the tank..

Waxoyl sprayer by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Waxoyl sprayer by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Onto the test

Air feed set at 40 psi, then turned up to 70psi near the end. The flow is just cracked out so at 40psi make about 1ltr every 10 mins, quite slight really! You can see when I turn the air off a lot come out, but that mostly fluid in the pipe backing up when the air is turned off..

Best way is to just cut the fluid flow off leave the air on, it the stops in a sec or 2

To show the flow and spray in a confined space..
        Last edited by BenH; 25-07-2013, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Had to adapt a clamp today to reach round the cill, the other is the one I modded for plug welds so it has a big heatsink on the back. I just used some cheap ones as I don't want to cut up my visegrip ones..

Special clamps by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Comment

This afternoons project in the same vein as the other bits, just to make life easier is a sheet metal folder. I had been looking at homemade one on a mobile welders van, thought that might be very handy indeed! I forgot to take more pics as I made it tbh, mostly arc welded few bits tigged. All made out of bits I had kicking around

Sheet steel folder by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Testing with some 1mm and 2.5mm steel, not sure how long a piece of 2.5 I can bend. Certainly not the full 600mm, but enough to be handy. Would be nice if it bent a little tighter, but should be more than good enough.

Job done Still I'd like to make a press brake bender for the hydro press, just for doing 5-6mm thick steel plate.

Comment

That'll come in handy, I made a smaller one years ago and it gets a lot of use ...

Comment

Turmoil engineering strikes again ! Along time ago in a galaxy far far away......... Nice work as usual buddy

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBox View Post
                  That'll come in handy, I made a smaller one years ago and it gets a lot of use ...
                  I hope so, should save a bit of time on the repairs. Should of made one years ago really lol

Originally posted by tonka666 View Post
                  Turmoil engineering strikes again ! Along time ago in a galaxy far far away......... Nice work as usual buddy
                  Thanks and ha! u saaain eyes sum kind off space kadette?

Comment

No just old Skool which as we all know is the only school Your more like scottie anyway "Don't worry captain i will have the plasma coils re-aligned in a jiffy using only my swiss army knife some cheese and me tig"

Comment

Came home from work tonight and found a envelope on the front door mat with a cassette tape in, so popped it in the Aria and sat down with my cup 'o' tea. A low gruffled lisping voice emanated to my ears from the speakers " Your mission if chose to except is, to build a tool cart"

Hmmm I thinks to myself, that would be handy to stop me tripping over stuff as I'm working. As I tend to take it out my toolbox, put it in a bucket next to where I'm working the tip it all out as I need the thing at the bottom..

As I drift off into thought's of tool carts, the voice picks up again "This message will now self destruct". Holy c**p I leap up spilling my tea, just in time to watch my Aria squeak, fart and burst into flames... Hmm how am I to listen to my Now that's what I call music tapes, Ace of bass wont listen to itself now will it...

So with leaving the living room half on fire and full of smoke, I head to the shed and set too...

With a handful of arc electrodes, a load of 60x40 box and some 2.5mm sheet a plan forms..

Tool cart by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Very rough and ready, well out of square but will do the job..

Then loaded up with bodywork and welding kit, when I'm done with the body side those tools can go away. Then just use it for mechanic stuff..

Beer time now

Comment

Thought this was more your thing though

Comment

Indeed it's all good lol , just need to find my baseball cap that has the peak fitted on the back now..

Comment

I've been fed up with the state of my hammers for a while now, so borrowed a big belt linisher to recrown everything! Started up with this engineers hammer I picked up the other day, as I wanted to turn it into a hammer for forge work Getting a largish straight pein hammer is not easy or cheap, making one is better!

Ran a grinder down the sides then linished it up, also got rid of the heavy crown on the other side so it's nice and flat..

Straight pein by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Then the el'cheapo dollys looked a little sorry, still need to get a 240g belt and polish them. But at least all the sharp edges are gone now..

Dollys by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

2013-08-18-883 by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Then my panel hammers again el'cheapo ones I've had for years, the steel if you can call it that is very soft. They mark up easy and pein over! So on the advice from the mobile welder I know, I ran some hardfacing rods over the faces. Then again reground and linished them out, with a smoother better shape too rather than all square and lumpy.

Panel hammers by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Panel hammers by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Then sat down and ran a lot of hardfacing rods onto a piece of rail track, just to flatten it off really though I need some more 180mm fibre discs to flat that lump off. It's about 10" long and is being made as a big dolly really for panel stuff. While I was in the mood I also took a old high tensile head bolt and with the oxy propane, rail track spare piece and new straight pein hammer. I forged out a new hook for my slide hammer, harden that off after and it passed the file test and quick linish to tidy it it up.

Slide hammer hook by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

I can see a gas forge being made at some point lol

Comment

Nice, it's always satisfying when you refurbish tools ready for a new battle

Comment

Cheers Yeah they have needed doing for a while , but it's always one of those things you put off. Then you don't need to use them so it does not get done..

Heat treating ovens, did you say you used to have one ? Was it electric and just a little table top type thing, might be handy for a future idea I have perhaps. Any ideas on what to look out for with one, might need it big enough to do 12" x 3" max.

Comment

Working...
                                X