Tools and Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tools and Equipment

Not used one myself as I had use of one, though I just left the parts with them tbh. Bit of an art in itself.

You can make an induction coil for what you want, powered by a microwave transformer if I remember rightly? Quite a simple device.

Comment

Yeah induction coil might do as well, perhaps even a normal oven if it's calibrated first? Though I'm wanting a spring temper so need to draw it back to 350-400'C, might have to do it the old way on a open forge perhaps hmmmm. Food for thought thanks
      Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

I should add that you need to make things from the right steel to begin with, it starts in a machinable state and then you harden it to the required standard you are looking for.
        For normal steels you sface harden them by making them absorb carbon. But it's only a thin crust and not really for tools.

Comment

Will be made from a old leaf spring, made into a smaller leaf type thing

Comment

lol i do exactly the same thing. built workshop and placed the workbench and tool chest where the car would be if parked in said workshop. then filled workshop with crap, now park just in the front of workshop and ferry tools back and fourth in plastic gaiter crate. then the tools invariably just live in the crate because i want them handy next time and moved in one go

want tool cart

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
              lol i do exactly the same thing. built workshop and placed the workbench and tool chest where the car would be if parked in said workshop. then filled workshop with crap, now park just in the front of workshop and ferry tools back and fourth in plastic gaiter crate. then the tools invariably just live in the crate because i want them handy next time and moved in one go

want tool cart

Chop chop, wont take you long to knock one up I'm sure Must admit I really like mine, I almost feel a little professional. Not much though...

Well finished up the slide hammer bits tonight as my pack of M10 stud connectors came in the post today, again another job I'd been meaning to do for a long time. Always the way when you don't need it, gets forgotten.. I Had made a very shonky little slide hammer years ago to do the input shaft on the boxes, this one I picked up years ago in a job lot of tools. It had just one hook which I recently lost (will turn up when not needed) and was some funky 3/8" thread, hence never getting round to it.. I know you can see a pattern forming here...

This got drilled and tapped to M10 and a stud adding to the end, just to make it more common..

Slide hammer by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Then made these up tonight, m12, m8, m7, m6, m5, 1/4" whitworth for my air compressor flapper valve covers.. The big hook I made the other day, small hook it a M10 fence wire tensioner hook cut down. Finally a vice grip one for pulling dowel pins

Slide hammer by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Comment

Nearly finished the anvil dolly for forming small curved patches on, I normally clamp a bit steel scrap in the vice. But I can have this next to me to tinker away on

Broke out the oxy propane and got chopping, never cut anything this thick before. But I did have the correct nozzle to hand thankfully, was a learning curve!

Anvil dolly1 by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr
                The trouble with rail track is that it has quite a curve to the top, I wanted flat and squareish. Que lots of welding, then grinding and yet more welding and grinding... I used some Trualloy hardfacing rods, they are a air hardening carbon manganese steel. Once cool has a Rockwell hardness of 55-60, quite hard indeed and very tough!

Built up the surface and while hot gave it a good grind to flat it out, then ( I forgot to take pics) 2nd pass with a heavy weave. That came out reasonable flatish..

Anvil dolly3 by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr
                Then onto lots of grinding, a few nights worth.. It's 90% done now and can be used, but really need a new belt for the sander to finish it off. One long edge is sharp and square, the other rounded over..

Anvil dolly4 by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr
                There are a few small wormholes in it, really should of dried the rods in the oven first as some were a touch damp perhaps. But more than good enough and all good arc practice, really need to do more arc welding tbh as it's all good fun..
                Last edited by BenH; 22-08-2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Fascinating stuff, I've seen railway tracks made into anvils before but not seen the hard-surfacing welding technique.

If you ground those on a belt sander, even a 6" one then I feel your pain !! They look good

Comment

This is my favorite thread at the moment and it doesn't even have any cars in it Excellent work as always.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBox View Post
                      Fascinating stuff, I've seen railway tracks made into anvils before but not seen the hard-surfacing welding technique.

If you ground those on a belt sander, even a 6" one then I feel your pain !! They look good
                      Cheers, yeah should of said most of the grinding was done with Zircona fibre disc's 9" 24g and 5" 60g. Just the final finishing on the belt sander, I use fibre disc's for most stuff really. Much prefer them to grinding wheels and flap disc's, work out cheaper too!

Originally posted by tonka666 View Post
                      This is my favorite thread at the moment and it doesn't even have any cars in it Excellent work as always.
                      Cheers Bud, another 6-8 months and all the kit should be ready for some proper work!

Comment

Been having a massive sort out in the shed the last couple of days! Then today service the van and finish up the pressure pot

It all started with needed a bit buried at the back of the dumping area, also wanted to find where the rats had been getting in from the cow shed. They will be getting merced blud, this shizzle it about to go down.. So made up some racking out of old pallets to get everything off the damp floor and give me a lot more room, the dumping area still has all the rubbish in but has been upgraded to a storage area Indeed some of it has been reclaimed as a work area for the belt sander, table saw and oven!

Pallet racking by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Space to work again!

Space to move! by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

So finished up the blaster with some proper wheels and sucked all the swarf out with the hoover, added some much finer grit and we have lift off

Media blaster by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Will be much better with more air and a bigger nozzle, might even be able to use some bigger grit then too. Though I think some sort of vibrator attachment to shake the pot and help the media down when it runs low will be handy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
                          cant be A-Team, not enough bullet proof hub caps mounted on the outside of everything

i like the compressor, with the lick of engineering grade hammered blue finish, nobody would actually question it wasnt a purchased version !
                          Not necessary, they always missed anyway...

More Dakka is claimed by many to be the most reliable way of killing something, but strangely there are a lot of shootouts on TV where the number of bullets fired seems inversely proportional to their likelihood of killing or even wounding anyone …

Comment

Originally posted by BenH View Post
                            Been having a massive sort out in the shed the last couple of days! Then today service the van and finish up the pressure pot

It all started with needed a bit buried at the back of the dumping area, also wanted to find where the rats had been getting in from the cow shed. They will be getting merced blud, this shizzle it about to go down.. So made up some racking out of old pallets to get everything off the damp floor and give me a lot more room, the dumping area still has all the rubbish in but has been upgraded to a storage area Indeed some of it has been reclaimed as a work area for the belt sander, table saw and oven!

Space to work again!

Space to move! by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

So finished up the blaster with some proper wheels and sucked all the swarf out with the hoover, added some much finer grit and we have lift off

Will be much better with more air and a bigger nozzle, might even be able to use some bigger grit then too. Though I think some sort of vibrator attachment to shake the pot and help the media down when it runs low will be handy as well.
                            Nice one there mate!! Looks very effective!

Comment

Cheers , yeah it's not too bad but the 2.5mm nozzle does limit the area a bit. When I get the 2nd compressor plumbed up it should allow a bigger one and still have good pressure, without having to stop every few minutes and wait for it to catch up. Though the nozzle works better with very fine media, I'm using the waste from the blast cab at work, being free helps too!

If I'm stripping a big area I'd still use a polycarbide disc, but this is more for the difficult corners and such

Comment

Well now there is all this free space I thought I better get some bits to fill it back up again, should have a small mill by the end of the week Just need a lathe now hopefully soon, though the ac/dc tig savings are taking a beating..

Just need to learn how to use it now

Comment

Working...
                                X