Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Mk2 Astra rallycar for the wife....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Mk2 Astra rallycar for the wife....

Thanks Harv and Baz...

Unmasked it this morning.

Its a little dry in one or 2 places and I may have to redo the rear part of the rear quarter as its a bit light in coverage but it will be Ok after mopping.

and then started cutting / fitting the dashboard and loom and making up pieces for the master switch etc.

Paul..
    My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

That's coming on good Paul, like you say finish is not the priority and a good excuse to sticker it up well afterwards

Watching with anticipation ......

Laurie.

Comment

I'm sure you will get to spray it again when you or the wife put a few rallying marks on it!

Comment

Laurie

The wife doesnt seem bothered now so I think this one will be used for the odd airfield event by myself, for friends to use on trackdays and for night rallies (road-rallies). Its been repainted as it needs to be one colour for roadrallies (as well as having a certain level of interior trim as well) so I cant sticker it up and cover the issues.

Paul..
          My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Thats looking good in the pics Paul

Chris

Comment

That's really flying along well!
              Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Thanks guys

Harvey came up today and we pottered through a few bits in a frustrating day - few loom bits, brake pipes, master cylinder. Only "finished" thing we really accomplished was fitting the brake and clutch pedals!

Back to work tomorrow, so slower progress now. Must ensure I do some work through the week though. Have a roadrally at the end of the month but Im not sure we can make that even now..

Paul..

Comment

Slow progress since I went back to work but managed a few evenings this week and spent all day today.

Fitted brake lined internally

Fitted master cylinder, servo and front brake lines

Tidied and cable tied brake lines, fitted drivers seat and harness to check all was ok then started fitting rear seats.

2 pics showing the lightening of the rear seat back. First one is the unit intact, then removed the foam, cover and threw away the metal frame entirely - saved around 10kg at least. Have to have them in the car under roadrally rules.

Rear seats fitted as per roadrally rules.

Carpets fitted as per roadrally rules.

Going to try to get various wiring jobs done tomorrow so the fusebox has power etc.

Paul..

Comment

its coming along nicely Paul!

Comment

Really hard slog of a week on the car but thanks to some great friends, we made some great progress. However the cars first event is next Saturday so Im still under the "kosh" so to speak..

Got the master switch installed, switches for spots, fuel pump etc and all the std wiring sorted through the week nights last week. Even the digidash works.

Then got the relays for the spots, fuel pump and various other things sorted and the passenger seat in place ready for checking.

Rear windows installed.

Harvey came over Friday night and started with the engine from the red car - looked like this..

Stripped the head off and found 2 bent valves. Only barely bent but wont seal correctly so no good.

Through Saturday we carried on with the engine. The bottom end seems fine

so cleaned and new headgasket ready for the spare head to go on.

Assembled and torqued

Ready to refit

and fitted after some engine mount fettling..

Then on Sunday we stripped door panels and machanism from some spare doors,

The various panels were prepped for painting in the spray shed

Then some stands used to put them on..

and primed..

On Sunday night we then fitted driveshafts and made an 8v exhaust fit the car with some tweaking and then fitted the sumpguard and put it on its wheels once again.

Nearly looks like a car again..

Paul..

Comment

Good effort Paul! Looking forward to seeing the video of her in action

Comment

No piccies but last night I managed to get everything painted black. Not a great job but only 4 days till the rally so have to get it done.

Also oil cooler mounted and radiator and cooling hoses fitted. More tonight...

Paul..

Comment

good work going into this

never seen a cam pulley sheered off at the spokes, also impressive

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
                              good work going into this

never seen a cam pulley sheered off at the spokes, also impressive
                              Might have something to do with me landing like this...

Just a little damage..

Paul..

Comment

I thought that it looked like somebody had dropped it ... impressive .. as it was last time too

Comment

Working...
                                X