Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Mk2 Astra rallycar for the wife....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Mk2 Astra rallycar for the wife....

Despite me rolling the red "Ebay special" rallycar on the Flying Fortress stages back in March, the wife said she would like to do the event in 2014.

At the same time, a friend was looking for a new shell for his after an unfortunate bale hitting incident on the same event. We found/were offered 2 different cars already prepped. He bought one and I bought the other from a member on here.

This was duly picked up after a long roadtrip to Bodmin in Cornwall (via Portsmouth to drop my rallycar off for its trip to Rally Barbados) and I thought Id best start a diary.

The shell was bought with a few known issues - mainly the bulkhead and some other "rally" damage but was well priced and came with quite a few bits and bobs.

Some pictures of it as picked up..

Came with a few boxes of spares stripped from the car, driveshafts etc

Its got a multipoint OMP cage fitted and came with 3 front and 3 rear bumpers.

Drivers side is fairly straight

Passenger side has quite a few rally scars etc but nothing thats unfixable.

No glass but I have a fair few spares of those. Plus has Bilstein cartridges fitted.

Engine Bay is dirty but main issue is bulkhead split.

This looks bad but I dont think it is!

Paul..
    My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Re: Black Mk2 Astra rallycar for the wife....

Spent a couple of hours at the weekend on the car..

First job was to strip the wiring, power steering, anti roll bar and rack from the car.

Then spent an hour cleaning it with degreaser and a kitchen dish brush - came up very well considering..

Close up of the rack mount

Out came the drill and wirebrush attachments..

Once cleaned up, I think its just splitting the seam in one place without any additional cracking which is good news. Have to make up a series of plates for the inner wing and brace it from there (and maybe across to the other rackmount as well).

and also have to deal with this hole. We believe that the plug for the 16v engine loom is bigger so the hole here has been enlarged to fit it rhough. Will likely plate the hole back to normal size and tie into the actual bulkhead.

Thanks

Paul..
    My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Lots of welding practice to be had on this one, my welder won't know whats hit it, lol. I'll have to pop up and have a play at sticking metal together.
      My GTE diary and the mk3 Arctic 3.0 V6 diary.

Comment

Bulkhead doesn't look bad at all what is it like on the pedal side?
        At the "cutting" edge of mk2 rust prevention since 1996!

Comment

Originally posted by tonka666 View Post
          Bulkhead doesn't look bad at all what is it like on the pedal side?
          Havent stripped it all out yet but I dont think its going to be too bad.

Paul..

Comment

Looks useful Paul, anyone seeing your yard and they will be thinking you must be setting up a dealership at this rate!

Laurie.
            My vehicles:
            1985 Astra GTE 1.8 8v, 2002 Omega Est, 1978 MGB GT, 1973 Honda CB500 K2, 1993 Honda Sevenfifty, 2005 Suzuki Grand Vitata .......

Comment

Im at 6 at the moment...

1 on its way to Barbados
              1 x wifes car
              1 x primered rolling shell
              1 x yellow rolling shell
              1 x red car which is for stripping
              1 x white shell which is for parts stripping

Will soon be down to 3 or 4 :-)

Paul..

Comment

normally you'd retract the engine loom into the cabin, i think thats genious hacking the hole big enough for the ECU multiplug

Comment

Nice is your wife that into rallying?

Chris
                  1800 GTE turbo project
                  http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/showt...-time-for-cars!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1800turbogte View Post
                    Nice is your wife that into rallying?

Chris
                    She used to navigate on events and enjoys a bit of marshalling and organising but has never driven. I think it was a bit of a throwaway comment but I siezed the opportunity so she cant take it back now.

If nothing else, its a chance for me to build up my collection :-)

Paul..

Comment

And what a nice collection its coming. I do love the wheels on the black car, what are they?

Chris
                      1800 GTE turbo project
                      http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/showt...-time-for-cars!!

Comment

The crack really doesn't look that bad? A re-weld and the normal strengthening should do the job I'd have thought. Interesting to see how you do strengthen it, its the next step I've been putting off on mine as I'm still undecided what is actually the best method.

As for the hole for the loom, thats just horrendous!! They must have wrapped the loom in whale blubber to stop it being sliced open on all those sharp edges!

Comment

Originally posted by 1800turbogte View Post
                          And what a nice collection its coming. I do love the wheels on the black car, what are they?

Chris
                          Hi Chris - theyre Compomotive MO wheels- spares from my car as this didnt come with any wheels.

Originally posted by dazz150 View Post
                          The crack really doesn't look that bad? A re-weld and the normal strengthening should do the job I'd have thought. Interesting to see how you do strengthen it, its the next step I've been putting off on mine as I'm still undecided what is actually the best method.

As for the hole for the loom, thats just horrendous!! They must have wrapped the loom in whale blubber to stop it being sliced open on all those sharp edges!
                          Will probably do it like the other car I suspect. First we will re-weld the actual bracket and check the inside,

Then plate the inner wings to strengthen and trangulate the box from the rackmount back to the inner wing. Plus trangulate the passenger side a little too. I think we will also strengthen the lower arm mount and corner plate it like the images below. I might also stitch weld the pedalbox in as well as this means the large hole isnt quite so large (but its then a bugger to get off if needed)

Paul..

Comment

Finally managed to get a little time on the black rallycar. Started like this..

Firstly, removed the passenger wing and unbolted the front part of the cage triangulation, small cut in the bulkhead to allow me to force / manouver the bar upwards. Cant remove it as it was put in before the cage itself.

Nasty hole which is "ripping" apart

Cleaned it up ready for plating.

Going to try to cut a piece from a spare shell and plate it over to tie in the vertical and horizontal pieces.

Then assembled my new welder and discovered it doesnt come with the small bottle regulator so couldnt attack this.

Paul..

Comment

And so it all starts again!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X