Mightier White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mightier White

Had a few hours to spare yesterday so more love for the gte! The whole car is very clean now but i have not given the engine bay any attention yet so i thought i would make a start on that.

Airbox side first no serious rot just a few extra screw holes and some surface rust.

Lots of waxoil spashed about but this is the reason the car is pretty solid!

Removed old glue and sanded all the rusty bits back to shiney metal forgot to take a pic but you can tell by the primer where it was sanded. Was going to weld up the unused holes but my mig had other ideas!

Several coats of glasier white later and a few runs but still looking much better going to do the turret and behind too but didn't have much time!

Also polished out the last bit of overspray on the pasenger door shut while waiting for paint to dry

After

Polished the whole door and the shuts on the car too while i was there

Last edited by tonka666; 22-06-2013, 12:56 PM.
    At the "cutting" edge of mk2 rust prevention since 1996!

Comment

ow yes, love the attention you put in it! nice and clean

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
        ow yes, love the attention you put in it! nice and clean
        Cheers its getting there still plenty to paint but its almost up to cleanliness standards now lol, And getting cleaner all the time. When the missus moans about all the cleaning and polishing i will show her your car and blame you for being a bad influence

Comment

hahaha, yeah blame me.. I live far far away

Keep on going!

Comment

Also in other news i have had an offer to buy the old girl. I first sugested to him a find him a decent one through the club, but he just said no i want yours! I have been thinking about it the last few days and i am seriously torn! Its a very good offer and would give me a very decent profit if you don't include my time. But i love the thing already and its a decent shell and interiour which are getting harder to find. It can be a bit of a stretch financially sometimes to run her and i could save alot switching to something sensible and black death powered. However i am getting around 38mpg which is pretty good really and its proving reasonable to run as a daily driver. Also i have spares for almost everything so i the grand scheme of things its not really that expensive to run.The other problem is i know this is probabably my last chance to make a proffit on it as it will obviously have more and more money put into it the longer i keep it. I just don't want to regret not selling it if i come upon hard times and have to get rid quickly AAAAAAAAAAAAAAgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh ! I am 99% sure i am keeping her though!

Comment

just keep it. If you want another one, it will be more rotten and you will regret it evenmore you sold the car..

Comment

As per text, snatch his arm off at that money! You've got the Merit and it is just a car!

Comment

Trying to sort through the last few niggles on this car the latest is a lack of speedo but hopefully i have got to the bottom of that one while i was investigating this i also found a little box that was wired into the trip computer took it apart and it seems to be a signal adjuster and/or booster for the speed signal going into the trip computer. At first i thought this may have been corrupting the signal to the dash but having removed it and put the wiring back to factory no difference. Also i found 3 earth wires that should go to the trip were cut and the pins that they go to on the connector missing. Luckily i have a spare trip connector with plenty of wiring so i can put it all right and make it tidy. I am hoping the trip might even work once its all back to how it should be.

Any ideas??

Comment

Still thinking of selling too! Mk3 astra for £300 as a daily then spend the rest on the merit!

Comment

Originally posted by tonka666 View Post
                      Still thinking of selling too! Mk3 astra for £300 as a daily then spend the rest on the merit!
                      You know it makes sense......

Little box might be a government tracker, have you been buying up peroxide and chapatti flour?
                      Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Yea it does! If matey gives me £2500 or more it will be gone i am afraid! Do you reckon the feds are on to me? I used to be a russian spy working in the pentagon untill the union broke up.

Comment

Speedo has been working fine now for nearly a week not even a blip! Also dash temp sender was erratic so i changed it for another one (having put a new spade connector on first) and its working fine again. So apart from the trip computer not "Tripping" all is good and the koni's have made a noticable improvement to the front end

Comment

i did see your for sale thread and thought it was a shame/surprise, but then i've sold loads of cars i regret, so its all situational.

as you say, modern petrol engines seem to be more concerned about tail pipe emissions than getting the furthest distance with the least fuel. when i was using my 16v daily it would get 30mpg in 100% urban, and 45 odd on the motorway which smashes the real life figures of modern petrol cars right out of the ball park. what i couldn't get out of my head is the car slowly deteriorating, more and more advisories cropping up every MOT. on the flip side they still languish without use tucked up in garages under old dust sheets so you cant win.

experience is telling me dont sell though.

Comment

Second that I've thought about it recently going modern - but I just know I will regret it again never should have sold my red bull lol

Comment

Tbh its cheap enough to run and i have mechanical spares for everything so its not really running costs that i am thinking of. I waited 6 years for a decent shell to come up at reasonable money and have put alot of hours into her already so another good reason not to sell. My only real issue is if i keep it i need to use it as my daily for at least another year and i just don't want to ruin it with the salt in the winter. Also if i keep it then i have a very good merit shell that i can't really afford to do anything with so that will just sit and rot! I am not decided on selling just thought i would see if anyone was interested at what i think is a fair price. If not then the decision is made for me. Got an insurance quote for it the other day and its only £160 fully comp limited to 6000 miles which is another reason to keep it!

Believe me i know i will regret it, the car is pretty much how i want it now and wouldn't embarras itself too much on a track day either. Its the same old story one day you love it next you hate it ! Its deffinately love atm though !

Comment

Working...
                                X