Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So its built!! ...

Now need to try and find some funds for a hoist

Checking with a rule I should be able to get in a 2 post hoist in the rear right 1/4 and still park (for instance) something like the Astra or MGB beside it and even get another vehicle inside to work on if needed.

The front right 1/4 of the workshop will be dedicated to welding bay (as i'm looking at a potential for taking on some local fabrication work

I've still got to fit the bike hoist and a couple of bikes too Good thing is that it will be easy to build onto at the back maybe for a store and
    tool room, as a couple of weeks ago I went down to Suffolk and de-roofed the old workshop and brought the roofing tin back to reuse

Doing that single handed in the dark (Oh I did have permission but it was another of my flying visits this time to trailer back the pony van) and a load of other unhealthy back breaking things put my back into spasm this weekend so I've been mooching about instead of getting the GTE up from the barn and try it in its lovely new workshop but I did manage a pair of strip lights ready for when the rest of the electrics arrive from Screwfix and I'm fit enough to channel across to drop the trunking from the stone barn.

I need to pull my finger out as I'm planning on being down for the Autumn trackday

More later I hope ....
    My vehicles:
    1985 Astra GTE 1.8 8v, 2002 Omega Est, 1978 MGB GT, 1973 Honda CB500 K2, 1993 Honda Sevenfifty, 2005 Suzuki Grand Vitata .......

Comment

• Now that's certainly a bit more than your average shed at the bottom of the garden !!
      I'd say that's what you call a proper man cave Laurie :wink:

Once you get that kitted out you could disappear in there for days !!

Comment

• So the new workshop suddenly filled up !!

Took reciept of the new 2 post hoist yesterday afternoon (Friday) and unpacked and stood the posts up ready to install it today ... not difficult plus these guys have a really good installation video that I downloaded from youtube and ran it alongside me as I installed.

It took twice as long as it could have as I had Denise come and check both the psychical position and the fine measurements so there was no mistakes

I'm pleased that I went an extra meter wider than I was going to as it gives me the room either side once I finish putting up the recycled insulation:

so now I can prep the car for the club trackday in a couple of weeks time:

And still plenty of headroom above when the car is up with 6' walk under clearance

dry working and storage at last.

L
        My vehicles:
        1985 Astra GTE 1.8 8v, 2002 Omega Est, 1978 MGB GT, 1973 Honda CB500 K2, 1993 Honda Sevenfifty, 2005 Suzuki Grand Vitata .......

Comment

• Looking good, it's amazing how quickly you can fill the space with junk, oop's I mean spare's.

Comment

• i was gonna say it looks a bit close to those roof trusses, but it isnt at all (just the angle of the picture) great space to work in, also good to hear the project manager has signed it off
            Last edited by DarrenH; 14-09-2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• easytrans saw this and thought of you.

Mark knopfler driving Jim russells car no.10, sept 17th 1989. i checked your photos and its the same car you used, but i dont know when you went. so did mark sit in the same seat as you, or did you sit in the same seat as him

Comment

• So the car was peeled from its cocoon this morning (well from under a pile of roofing insulation sheets, a hi-fi system and all the other dross it had collected over winter), It was put in broadside on a set of wheel dolly's so the quad and a short chain soon broke it free from its moorings

So I can now draw back some workshop space and sort stuff out .......

Though she was covered in bubble wrap its still quite dirty due to all the grinding/sanding dust from my part time fire building (welding and dressing) work.

So if I get chance this weekend I'll give here a foam wash,

Also this afternoon I got some Insurance as I intend to run it down to the village for an MOT test soon, no specific reason for getting a MOT other than it makes it usable so it is less likely to sit around all summer waiting for me to find some spare time to do something with it :P

A little mouse has been wintering in there but not for long and apart for a little more nibbles of the crash padding no "further" damage caused.

I have a new starter motor to fit as this one is unreliable though it started first time today.

More later .....
                My vehicles:

Comment

• i had to DA polish my entire white merit after not washing off grinding dust promptly, dust turned into rust particles and ate into the paint

it wasnt even in line of site of the grinding

Comment

• Yes indeed. I've peppered side windows and even a screen in the past (not this one.. I hope) but I tend to do my grinding work at the door entrance weather permitting but its more the light dust and welding smoke and general dust (lots of it here just now) you cant sneeze with kicking up a dust storm

So just back from Garage and the (her-in-doors) Astra G sailed through the MOT "as it should having replaced all the brake pipes, disks and pads and a rear hub ... oh and polished the headlights with Gibbs toothpaste" in advance.

So I've just got to run through the Suzuki so that's ready then its the GTE's turn.

However, the brake light check warning lamp has never gone out since the rebuild umpteen years ago and I think that needs to work as expected with the new MOT test rules that came in last week?
                    I remember a single wire that ran diagonal across the front to rear floor when carpets and sound proof was removed would that have been the trigger wire and if so does it go from a light cluster to the passengers foot well? (or was that something else?)

Laurie.
                    My vehicles:

Comment

• Well the GTE never made it to the garage for MOT and has basically sat outside the workshop since I moved it out. Some little bugger of a mouse has been making a home in it again and had a right going at the seats once again so now looking for another set of buckets ready for whenever I get around to a trackday. My neighbour is keen to take his Honda (prelude or whatever it is since we just fitted a clutch and got it through an MOT test ) .. and now he's gone a bought a TT Quatro so is torn on what to do with the Honda..

Meanwhile yesterday (well Friday night) I spotted a Frontera on facebook (What! I hear you say Laurie on Facebook? well not officially well not as me :P ) anyway Spares or Repair with a few issues and a couple of days MOT left but a nice clean MOT history despite its 200K milage ... As it was only 55 minutes away I thought worth a look ... so cut a long story short I drove it a couple of miles and crawled around it a bit, haggled from 600 to 400 and loaded it up on the trailer behind the Omega, keyed in the flatest rout home in the Sat-nav (that not an easy task around here but as the clutch is getting a little delicate on the Omega it was worth picking my route well) and she sailed home like a good'n.

White is the Only colour :P

Anyway popped it on the hoist this evening to look a a couple of the issues (a shaft issue stopped the guy driving it) and after reverse engineering it I can see the CV joint needle baring that sits in the hub had (probably) vanished so things were doing strange things so managed to find the parts I need Circlips, shims, bearings, seals etc + a set of front pads ~ ?70.

The rear stabiliser bar mount at the chassis needs rebuilding, though the chassis and general underside looks very good for a 4x4 ... the rear exhaust has parted from the mid box but both are new so can soon repair, a couple of brake pipes to replace. And there's a vac leak somewhere as he reported the EML coming on under power but after years of the Omega I think I can soon find that.

Anyway plan is it will (assuming it comes good) it will be the tow car to replace the Omega ... though not sure if the Omega will remain about as spares for the Dti or find a new home. and probably the Suzuki Vitara will get moved on as its ok as a hill climber but not any fun to drive far

Meanwhile the GTE has been moved down to the barn with a new cover on and a couple of packets of nasty tasting green corn for any little critters that fancy their chances

L.
                      My vehicles:

Comment

• B series, 2.2 16v turbo diesel, sport. not bad at all ! even the shorty is rated at 2.4 tonnes on the toe ball which is very useful. please find the attached specification guide

i have the workshop manual if you want it as pdf (might have to work something out as its 48Mb) covers everything except the 2.2 diesel engine as its the US version and they only had petrols
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by DarrenH; 10-12-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• p.s. as you "arent on facebook" you might not have seen these

1273137_487816857982429_1440797544_o.jpg

14435048_1045992228831553_7567203815034874874_o.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
                            B series, 2.2 16v turbo diesel, sport. not bad at all ! even the shorty is rated at 2.4 tonnes on the toe ball which is very useful. please find the attached specification guide

i have the workshop manual if you want it as pdf (might have to work something out as its 48Mb) covers everything except the 2.2 diesel engine as its the US version and they only had petrols
                            Thanks for that Darren, I have that pdf in my documents folder (for some reason) I must have downloaded it some time in the past when I was looking at others

As for the workshop manual I did find it online on a Russian site and I've found much of the info I was looking for but did start to spider it down locally (wget) but with probably 1700 pages I thought better of it .

As for the towing weight its a bit surprising as the truck itself on the trailer at back of the omega didn't feel that heavy but its good to know as I do tend to hook quite a few things on the back of my vehicles
                            My vehicles:

Comment

• I had the bigger Frontera - the v6 3.2 LWB before the Ranger.

Just be careful with axle weights - we got done on that on the way to an events. ?180 fine and moved stuff around but just be careful.

Glad to see you are still on here :-)

Paul..
                              My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

• Originally posted by RallyMarshal View Post
                                Just be careful with axle weights - we got done on that on the way to an events. ?180 fine and moved stuff around but just be careful.
                                I recall that said event well as you were already in Wales having packed everything and Ste and myself were towing your rig. You should have seen the confusion on the polices face what I pointed out none of the vehicles were mine, including the one I was driving. After your poor packing all we did was pay ?180 and shift two large and very heavy boxes into the rear of the rally car before being weighed again and send on our way. Just made scrutineering by the skin of our teeth. Fun times and lesson learnt by Paul not to shove everything into the towing vehicle when it has saggy rear suspension.

My GTE diary and the mk3 Arctic 3.0 V6 diary.

Comment

Working...
                                X