Clives leather edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clives leather edition

Hi Guys just thought i'd share a few pics with you after i ended up buying this GTE Champion which was for sale the back end of April this year. She was in a bit of a sorry state when i went to view the car up in Southport but ended up getting it trailered back to Kent. Ive only driven the car off the trailer and up into my garage where it is now SORN. The car starts and runs fine with no tappety rattles and is standard apart from a K&N filter and Scorpion sports exhaust however the aim when I bought it was to restore it and keep it a standard car as much as possible. All the electrics seem to be working fine including the check control panel. Ive not really got the space in my garage to work around the car but bits ive done so far are:

New radiator plus flushed the whole system through & cleaned the coolant tank
    Flushed and cleaned through windscreen washer tank
    Replaced both headlights and new mounting clips
    Replaced lower bumper trim
    Replaced both head lamp washer units
    New gear lever gaiter and gear knob
    New tail gate gas struts
    Replaced digi dash (LCD part on speedo section was breaking up)
    Replaced drivers door main weather seal
    Fitted speaker grills to cover the holes in the parcel shelf
    New battery
    Replaced heater blower / fan (one in car was seized)
    Removed, steam cleaned and refitted boot carpet which was covered in oil
    Fitted standard air box and connecting parts including resonator box behind front grill
    Numerous bits of silly trim, clips, covers, caps, etc, etc that were missing or broken

Just want to say a big thanks to two club members, Vernon (Barry) and Dancedj (John) who have helped me out with no end of bits between them so far so thanks guys.

The plan is for the end of September to get the car over to my friends garage so we can start the full restoration including all the running gear, fuel and brake lines as well as arches sills and full respray. Ive got second hand driver and passenger doors and a bonnet as the current ones are either dented (drivers door) or badly rippled. Inside the car needs the bolsters on the front seats re-trimming and the steering wheel could do with re-dressing. Its likely I’ll have the engine and gearbox out as part of the restoration. The sump gasket is pi55ing out oil (but don’t they all !!) and the cam belt was last noted as being changed in the history that I do have with the car in 1995 !! There really is a mountain of work to do and a few more surprises I’ll probably yet to find.

I had a standard 16v GTE ages ago which I owned for 7 years and loved it. Just really regretted selling it. This one im planning to restore and keep. These cars really are a rare breed and need to be preserved. Will keep you posted on progress.

[IMG2=JSON][][/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON][][/IMG2]

Last edited by Clive; 27-12-2017, 09:26 PM.

Re: Clives leather edition

good luck with your resto clive, as per general chat if you need any help with anything feel free to ask, 10 mins up the road from you

Comment

another champ being saved nice buy best of luck

Comment

Just thought id update you on the progress as ive only recently managed to get the car over to my friends workshop to start the restoration. The last few months previously have just been spent buying parts that i know im going to need. Loads of work yet to do and I suspect the next 12 months will be spent buying the bits i dont know i need yet !!! A few updated pics.

Interior removed

New sills

Replacement Drivers Side Floor Pan

New inner arches

Arrrgh no surprises really but this is what was lurking behind the plastic skirts

Drivers side floor pan holed

Evidence of a previous bulk head welding attempt !!!!

Rear quarter windows removed and cleaned up

Replacement Drivers door fitted and door hinge repositioned and re-welded back in place

Next stage is to get all the rust treated get the new sills and arches fitted and replace the passenger door (old one is too rippled to save) as was the original bonnet. The engine and gear box is going to be coming out so will then be able to get to the bulkhead to strengthen and weld that up. For some reason the power steering rack has been leaking and the oil manging to get through the bulkhead which has over time soaked into the sponge insulation under the carpet. Slow progress but will get there and im sure a few more surprises still lurking and waiting to be discovered.
        Last edited by Clive; 30-12-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Do away with that insulation full stop. It'll only inevitably have to come out again at some point.

Nice resto this.

Comment

only prob is the carpets fit, badly, without the sponge.

good progress clive, keep it up

Comment

Well done Clive I missed this thread recognise car from ebay looks
              Like you are doing a top restore job!

Comment

Thanks yes when i went to see this last May and bought it i always knew it was going to need major surgery. The fact that it was a relatively standard car was the main reason i bought it as a base car to restore it from (if that makes sense!!) I found an old advert a few months ago on the net from a previous owner who was advertising it for sale back end of 2011 and says the car hasn't been on the road since around 2003. According to VOSA thats the last issue of an MOT as well. There's the rot in all the usual places and the bulk head strengthening as a matter of course to do and rust to treat just to get the body work back to where it should be but the shell is sound and appears to have had an accident free life (surprisingly). Heck of a long way to go with engine, running gear and interior all to do and i know this is going to soak up money for some time yet but hope it will be worth it in the end.

Comment

10 years off the road wow! It will be worth it in the end Clive, looking forward to this coming together

Chris

Comment

Love it! Another champ being brought back to former glory!

Comment

Excellent work Clive! It seems never ending but worth it in the end. If you get stuck for a parcel shelf I have a hole free charcoal one in good condition I will be selling at some point. I did notice in the photo not sure if its the light how its hitting in the photo but is the left hand headlamp washer jet grey and the drivers blue grey? Hard to tell in a photo but I've had problems with plastics

Comment

First time ive seen this thread

Must say excellent progress dude,car will be great when your all finished

Comment

Hi guys thanks.
                          Kris definately interested in the parcel shelf. Just PM us when you decide to sell it. I just fitted speaker grills and a self adhesive piece of black felt on the underside to cover the holes just to tidy it up a bit. A hole free parcel shelf will definately look a lot better as just trying to keep the car as standard as i can. As for the washer jets they are different colours (but that my fault when i bought them). I plan to get round it by having them painted the same colour as the car when i have it sprayed.

Comment

I have new boot trims if you decide to go thay far, rear lamp in it's way

Comment

I will have a look and see if I have a spare washer jet for that side. If so I will let you have it. I'm just sorting through all the spares I have and I will put your name on the shelf. I have a pic on my restore thread of the shelf for your reference

Comment

Working...
                              X