Bulkhead restoration project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bulkhead restoration project

Just been looking at pictures.last picture left hand side nut welded on,second to last right hand side nut welded on,what are they for?anything special?

Comment

Originally posted by BenH View Post
      Looks very good indeed

With the box I would be tempted to run it back to the seat cross brace area as you say, then extend it out diagonally to the rear jacking point area. Maybe tie both side together with a removable brace under the exhaust tunnel?
      Hmmyes, good idea to run it down further back and diagonally towards where the rear members meet the sills! Been thinking about that, and also been thinking about a brace between the ends as that's exactly the point where there is only exhaust pipe so plenty space. Could even weld something in there....

Comment

Yeah they do lack a lot of meat in that area, when my first gte had another car shunted into it at a junction the back seats touched the fronts.

The car inbetween (a vectra b) me and the other one that hit us, was fine in the passenger compartment..

broken by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Originally posted by steven View Post
          Just been looking at pictures.last picture left hand side nut welded on,second to last right hand side nut welded on,what are they for?anything special?
          Nah, just for a removable toe hook....

Originally posted by BenH View Post
          Yeah they do lack a lot of meat in that area, when my first gte had another car shunted into it at a junction the back seats touched the fronts.

The car inbetween (a vectra b) me and the other one that hit us, was fine in the passenger compartment..

broken by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Yes, I saw that one before, it does look like it could do with a little extra strength there... Perhaps I should take the petrol tank off and weld it up all the way towards the rear box sections....

Comment

excellet work again V. i am looking interested at your front struts. i want to move the arms down on mine too, but one side of the welds are obscured by the lower spring "cup". how did you get round this ?

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
              excellet work again V. i am looking interested at your front struts. i want to move the arms down on mine too, but one side of the welds are obscured by the lower spring "cup". how did you get round this ?
              Cheers mate, well on that side I first cut the spring cup off... And welded it back after...

Comment

Did I read somewhere that you were doing castor changes on this? How are you going to do it might I ask?

Comment

Originally posted by KEV View Post
                  Did I read somewhere that you were doing castor changes on this? How are you going to do it might I ask?
                  Yes, I'm going to drill off the turrets and place them back and slightly under an angle to ensure the pressure on the top bearings will be equally spread again... And the wishbone mounts will get a 5mm thick plate on the front to move the wishbones slightly to the front. This should keep the drive shaft positions in the original places.... Pics will follow of this process, so just sit back and relax!
                  Last edited by Vinci; 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Ha, nice. I wouldn't move the wheelbase too much because its already an understeering chassis, Moving strut geometry from the bottom has a double effect. Positive castor changes will give you a longer wheelbase, and negative camber will result in a wider track which is great for a FWD car. Up to a point obviously! If you look at something like an M3, which has an ultra grippy front end you can see how far back and inwards the strut tops are, I'm interested to see how all this works out for you. If you aim for about 3 degrees toe out it works well on these cars.

Comment

Cheers mate, I have become more and more aware of the results the changes I plan will make and indeed can't wait to try it out!! I'm hoping another week, maybe two and it'll be back on the road again...

Comment

Been thinking a bit more about the bottom bracing and came up with this sketch...

I do think you are right Ben about the middle part being the weakest as there is barely any thick material members throughout that part. The magenta beam is a removable one as it must stay possible to get the tank out. Still unsure about how to construct that though... Thinking about U-beam end pieces so to keep the stiffness and it can then be easily slided over the existing bits. Will make M12 threads in the construction. The back pieces will be 50x50mm 2mm wall pieces which will be welded straight on to the rear member ends...

Comment

That looks good, yeah the tank is right in the way lol!

If you look under a modern Audi for example they have a removable bars over the tank and over the exhaust tunnel as well, also most cars have full length beams down the middle as well

Comment

Oh yes, I forgot to draw, there will be another bridge section welded in place where the middle pieces end now... I don't think I will extend them all the way back, there isn't much flesh there anyway to weld them to. The connection between the front side members and rear ones is what I am aiming at as I think that will bring a lot of extra torsion stiffness...

Comment

It all helps

The roll cage really made a difference to mine, but as yours is staying a family car different solutions are needed. Will be very interested to see this all come together

Comment

Well, I have been thinking about making the A-pillars stronger and such, but it is so hard to do that keeping the car look unmodified...

Also have my MOT in a few weeks, hope they will be okay with all the modifications done. It's got to be ok, wouldn't it? When it's properly welded and coated etc....??

Comment

Working...
                                X