Bulkhead restoration project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulkhead restoration project

Started today taking the engine out, went pretty smooth. Had a bit of bad luck as some English bloke with a Jaguar had a delay with his project, so the lift I had planned wasn't available. Luckaly another one was, so I was at least able to start, but had to keep it a rolling shell...

There are some rust spots, but it does all look very good actually! Also saw a little crack in the stone chip coating inside the inner rear wheel arch and when I poked it a bit there was another rusty spot under it. Will also patch that up while I am at it... Will let the pics do the talking:

P.S. The engine mounts are bolted on after I removed the engine as I will make a frame that will function as a dummy engine as I plan to alter two of the engine mounts. This frame will help to find back the correct positions to fit on the engine.
    Last edited by Vinci; 19-09-2012, 09:03 PM.

Re: Bulkhead restoration project

Excellent Vinci, which mk2 is yours SRI? You got any more pics

Comment

Originally posted by mrdezzer View Post
      Excellent Vinci, which mk2 is yours SRI? You got any more pics
      Yes here they are:
      http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/showt...16V-conversion

I think it is what you guys call an SRI, but over here these were called Kadett GT. As your GTE is GSI over here.... It's got loads of GTE features by now though, but I also like some of the GT features better, like the bumpers and grille, and not having a wing on the boot...
      Last edited by Vinci; 23-08-2012, 09:14 PM.

Comment

More done today, made a frame to find back the engine mounting points. Also cleared out the engine bay further and drilled and cut out the rotten bits for the most part... Got a real Flinstones car there now!! That floor was well rotten!! And one side had been repaired earlier on be some previous owner, but it was a poor job done, just hacked in to the lower bulkhead and welded on the new mount, but the floor was still rotten and nothing was done about it really.... Was all well grotted...

Last edited by Vinci; 24-08-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

What are you doing with the steel frame ... can't work it out?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBox View Post
            What are you doing with the steel frame ... can't work it out?
            The right hand engine mount and rear gearbox mount are going to be changed. The frame is just a mockup of the engine to be able to find back the mounting points with the other engine mounts, which are taken from a MK3/Calibra.

Comment

looks like alot of work you ve got there mate. What size are the bolts for the front drivers side engine mount and is it an original GM mount? So why are you changing to different mounts? cheers

Comment

Originally posted by mark2 View Post
                looks like alot of work you ve got there mate. What size are the bolts for the front drivers side engine mount and is it an original GM mount? So why are you changing to different mounts? cheers
                So I've been told, though I plan to get it finished within two weeks. That may as well be a bit optimistic...

The reason why I am changing to different engine mounts is something I should perhaps have photographed, but the rubber of the mount at the timing belt side just didn't have enough flesh. I've swapped it several times for new ones, but it is just not to my liking. The mount on the other front side is fine, almost excellent. So I'm gonna leave that one be. The mount I plan to use is the MK3 mount, which also bolts down under the side member. I have a complete MK3 nose standing ready to cut out any piece I might need. And the rear mount I am going to change to a die-cast mount with a lot more beefy rubber from a Calibra 4x4. With the plan I have mounting the engine should become a laugh as the rear mount will stand firm as soon as the threads are in the holes, then I can concentrate on bolting up the front ones and all that's left is putting the nuts on the rear ones. All this will be photographed and posted here in the near future...

So the main thought of changing the engine mounts is more engine stability, while reducing engine noise coupling to the chassis and easing up the mounting of the engine.
                Last edited by Vinci; 25-08-2012, 03:29 PM.

Comment

It will be interesting to know the results of this, good luck with it

Comment

Sorry guys, been busy and have been ill and haven't worked on the car that much. Now four days work in there and a lot is finished. Due to time pressure I have kinda skipped taking lots of pics. I know, it's a shame, but my priority is getting the car finished.

Here's a pic:

As you can see the lower bulkhead part is in. I've also changed the struts a bit and put a little piece of MK3 in here and there... The brace between the left and right wishbone mounting point is also there, with a little bridge over the exhaust. The exhaust will also be welded a little bit differently for it all to fit. There is also going to be an extra damper installed, and there will be a flex piece towards the manifold.

I've done loads of measurements like wheel base l/r and diagonal measurements, angle measurements to the struts and went from there making some changes. If it won't work out well I can still always get new struts. Also have shortened the arms on the struts, and will limit the rack with two halve moons welded to little plates that bolt under the track rod bolts, under the boot...

Will see about taking more pics the coming time...
                    Last edited by Vinci; 06-09-2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Exellent job,really nice work!

Can you do that on my Kadett?

Comment

Originally posted by Comi OPCS View Post
                        Exellent job,really nice work!

Can you do that on my Kadett?
                        I know someone who will, and won't pull you an arm out... This project is causing me grey hairs man and didn't really plan to do this again to be honest...

Do think it is well worth the effort as it will make the whole front end new, removes all rust and stiffen it up nicely. Can't wait to drive it again!!

Comment

Its looking good

Comment

Nice work, its looking really good, wonder what it will be like to drive after.

Comment

Looks good, out of interest how far out of square was/is the car? Also how much did you shorten the steering arms by and did you move the pickup point at all other than inwards? The rack stops I brazed rather than welded as the lump (on mine) is powdered metal, so should a better fixing than welding. Welding to powdered tends to crack off from past experience.
                              Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Working...
                              X