The Champ Is Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Champ Is Here.

It's not looking to bad at all Those 'cover sills' are a lot less work no blending or grinding welds, alright for a quick cheap fix to get another year or 2 out of a car. Really a shame if it's been done on this though.
    Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Could use dinitrol rust converter I have used this in the past and the arch I treated never showed rust again. Car restoration firm Frost sell all of these items or check eBay. Thing to do now to save the sills is as you said sunroof mod at front wing and I would use a cavity feed to fill the sills with wax oil. Again Frost sell these, the wax oil will halt the rusting or slow it down as the rear quarter as far as I am aware still drains in to the sill. Wax oil in these sills is a must as you cannot paint the inside as the welder burns it off so the bottom section will be untreated. At least you can see by looking at it you have caught it in good time

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
        if its the area i am thinking of, the bit in that picture is additional strengthening plate between the inner and outter sill. not sure why its there, most likely for the rear jacking point (the U shaped bit for the vauxhall scissor jack i mean)

the outside of the shell looks savable, wire brush and thorough repainting.

if the sill is structurally sound, you could use rust killer to halt the mess in the picture abovem maybe applied with a hand pump sprayer like the garden ones, or the ones used for brake cleaner in garages. (halfords sell product called kurust, although ive bought some stuff off ebay as its cheaper and bigger pot)

once thats set go to town with your waxoil (well worth lancing down the sills too, accessed behind the rear quarter trims
        Iv'e had a couple of mixed thoughts as what route to take and what you have mentioned above was exactly one of them options that i most likely will take, other option would be to buy a pair of full sills and have the job done properly.

Originally posted by BenH View Post
        It's not looking to bad at all Those 'cover sills' are a lot less work no blending or grinding welds, alright for a quick cheap fix to get another year or 2 out of a car. Really a shame if it's been done on this though.
        damn shame quick fix is not the way to go with a car like this one, 1 of 250 made i wonder how many Champs are actually left?

Taking into consideration for what the Champ's are actually worth their not going to lose value as there was 250 of them made in the uk and god knows how many are left, this is one of the reasons why i taken this step to buy this one plus the added bonus of knowing that this one having a shed loads of money thrown at, ive got all the paper work for this champ and if you saw how much was spent on just the engine rebuild, ecu, qed throttle bodies etc etc then anyone would have done the same, if the chap had taken a little time and looked for a good body shop then i would of said this has to be the best one but i cant after seeing what i have found in the past few days, tbh i dont think their is a cheap fix option with this champ the engine work is done so next is the body work.......... Roll On.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdezzer View Post
          Could use dinitrol rust converter I have used this in the past and the arch I treated never showed rust again. Car restoration firm Frost sell all of these items or check eBay. Thing to do now to save the sills is as you said sunroof mod at front wing and I would use a cavity feed to fill the sills with wax oil. Again Frost sell these, the wax oil will halt the rusting or slow it down as the rear quarter as far as I am aware still drains in to the sill. Wax oil in these sills is a must as you cannot paint the inside as the welder burns it off so the bottom section will be untreated. At least you can see by looking at it you have caught it in good time
          thanks i will look into the above plus i was also reading this http://www.bilthamber.com/pro-introd...me=dynax%20S50 its the link that tiff_lee put up looks like good stuff.

Comment

Today's update removed the bumpers, wings, plastic wheel liners, head lights, indicators and decided to do away with the water bottle for the head light washers and decided to keep the washers on the bumper's and to fit an electric Ariel when the time is right, the back lower panel is good the front cross member, top panel and behind the head lights need a good clean and a lick of new paint.

this is what it looks like with passenger wing removed,

drivers side wing removed,

this part of driver side from underneath looks to have been caught on something in the past and was pushed up, it was a bit of a struggle trying to remove the 10mm bolt screw couldn't get a spanner or a socket on it, it was pushed up and corroded so much that the bottom of the wing came away and the bolt and part of the wing were still attached to the sill, all removed now.

i have 1 brand new drivers side wing (hadrian's none genuine) compliments of Kev Read, need to get 1 for passenger side or even try to source 2 new genuine wings or good condition used with no rust of course

Comment

Originally posted by G.TERI.E View Post
              Thanks m8 i recall Darren mention Dave Walker on the 1st page of my thread and is this the same Dave Walker from http://www.emeraldm3d.com/about-us?
              Same guy yes :-)

Comment

I know in Kev's advert it stated that he worked in a body shop and the paint was good but I have to say, looking at those pics, there is a lot of orange peel in that paint.....................It'll probably flat out with a bit of time and effort. As for the repairs..............................any ran out of paint gen?! JESUS! That's been done on a properly tight budget that or the body shop has had someone over there.

It won't take much to get that girl looking peachy perfect matey I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey J View Post
                  I know in Kev's advert it stated that he worked in a body shop and the paint was good but I have to say, looking at those pics, there is a lot of orange peel in that paint.....................It'll probably flat out with a bit of time and effort. As for the repairs..............................any ran out of paint gen?! JESUS! That's been done on a properly tight budget that or the body shop has had someone over there.

It won't take much to get that girl looking peachy perfect matey I'm sure.
                  paint jobs not important now as its in bits m8, Need to find a new car for work first has to be a deisel, saloon, 1.9 cdti/tdi, 2008 ish, but your right allot of orange peel but there are certain area's that i think could do with doing again so after all the repairs are final there will be a full paint job on the cards and loads of waxoil .

Comment

yikes. alright, i officially retract the rub down and repaint savable comments !!

p.s do you mind if use your pictures? they are perfect for explaining a couple of the interior leaks...

see the two scuttle drains ? water runs out the ends down the inner wing and into the cabin behind the ECU, same area on the passenger side. soggy carpets and footwell rot

Comment

its cool, nice pointers it always good to know where some of the water runs down and starts causing the nasty soggy/damp carpets & rot,

anyways went to buy a car from Sutton Coldfield, that didn't go to plan but part 2 of the plan was to make my way down to Aylesburry after to pick up 2 genuine GM Wings, met Royvious had a brief chat with him paid the man for the wings and got home for 9.45pm, bit of a mission but would of been really worth it if the car i went to buy was what it was described. it turned out to be a bit of aso i walked away from it.

Comment

Pic of one of the genuine wings,

no rust on these

Comment

Had very little time on the Champ today and decided to remove the carbon cannister as it wasn't piped into anything on the engine side, its a good job i did!! the bolts were seized tight and with a bit of force the whole bracket ended up being ripped out of its place,

WTF check this out this piece was stuck on the chassis leg near the carbon cannister with what looks like erm some kind of sealer,

got the grinder out with the wire brush fixed to it and cleaned up the front corner where the front bumper hangers are,
                          Before,

After,

i think it's engine out next im curious to see what the rest of it looks like, bet you i find more rusty holes.

Comment

Is this in the correct order?

1, cut out rust or clean affected area with wire brush,
                            2, treat with kurust etc,
                            3, weld if required,
                            4, primer area until ready for paint,
                            5, paint,
                            6, treat/waxy oil when finished,

please amend if not in correct order, welcome to add anything i may have missed.

Comment

yeah that will work, between steps 2 and 3 just buzz any area you are about to weld with an angle grinder.

also you can buy zinc rich weld-through primer (upol stuff in green tin, even halfords sell it) for the areas you will not be able to paint afterwards because you are welding shut your access. the paint resists heat and is also electrically conductive so you can weld-through it

that is one of the worst inner arches i have seen, but to be honest it looks like the damage is more on the wheel arch skin rather than the structural chassis rail. i'd make a few random holes in the repair patch and puddle weld to the chassis rail (to sort of replicate where it wouldve been spot welded at the factor)

saving grace is that the structural bits are always much thicker and covered by thinner stuff, so tends to outlast it
                              Last edited by DarrenH; 23-10-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

what made me remove the carbon canister was seeing the pic of Dancedj's champ and i noticed mine looked the same + the vacuum pipe that goes to the engine side wasn't connected so thought may as well remove it, i think there will be more surprise's under the battery tray needs seeing to too, wheel arch does looks pretty bad in the pic and most of it is on the wheel arch skin i checked the rest of the leg with my trusted screw driver and it is quite solid, once its cut out and cleaned i will be able to asses the rest of the damage the rot has done, other side is solid so no worries there. just need to get the engine out to check rest of the bulk head.

Comment

Working...
                                X