my 1989 gte 16v progress thread from rags to rich's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 1989 gte 16v progress thread from rags to rich's

well i dont usually do progress threads about my cars but thought i would do one so i could follow my progress and share my build with every one

so where to begin......back in march i decided to sell my 2005 gordini blue clio 182 as tbh it was boring as hell and the build quality was shocking

yeah it looked well but it wasnt really me

so i sold up and thought to my self ill get a older car and save a bit cash towards getting my own place

one of my mates bought the gte off a lad he worked off back in December 2010,ive always loved the mk2 since a very young age

so i had a bit cash sitting there and thought i would stick a bid in for the gte,he said that it wasn't for sale,but i know every thing is for sale at the right price so kept pestering him for a while and finally he gave in and i got the gte for £1600

the car has had 4 owners,me being number 4,full vauxhall history,every mot since it needed one and a folder full of recites

pics of when i first bought her

to be fair the pics make the paint look flawless but in actual fact it was very tired,the quarters have been replaced to a very high standard but the paint blending wasn't so good,bonnet was full of stone chips and it had alot of scratches and blemishes

the interior is very clean with no wear to the bolsters and no stains ect....

i know alot of people like the o.e wheels but they just dont do any thing for me so i searched for a set that would suit the car and ended up with cesaros

the paint was rough on them and they had 2 centers missing and the wrong profile tyres but that was to be changed so all was good in the hood

a few weeks later i found a set of softstars local and though!!they should suit the mk2 down to the ground,i was wrong lol

dont get me wrong they looked ok but just looked to aftermarket for my liking

Re: my 1989 gte 16v progress thread from rags to rich's

one of my close mates is a painter so i knew he would do the deed when i needed it painted lol i was going to go with the stock black again but as i was geting a full shoot i decided to change it a little lol

the car went a very deep purple/mauve and tbh it looks fantastic

this is the only pic i have atm

i had all the plastic bumper trims,skirts,scuttle panel,boot handle ect done in a light anthracite as they where badly faded

then purchased 4x new r888s at a cheap £137 each haha they are the most awesome tyre about so thought why not eh?and sorced two center caps for the wheels that where missing

i was/am over the moon with the paint choice and job it looks so fresh now

Comment

very nice looking motor, good choice deleting the softstars tbh. warner of mig fame used to have them on his gte, never liked them personally.

you can still get sets of the 3 prong "locking nuts" from vauxhall for those wheel caps, (comes with the little T shaped key) if you havent got a set.

Comment

then my freind took me in his let nova i was really impressed with the power,i could not belive how well it went lol

so i came home and started to trawl for c20lets haha as i had cash left over off my clio and it was burning a hole in my pocket(As it does lol )

i found a c20let near me with shed loads of history and he was a freind of the lad i bought the car off at the start

it came from a lad on mig web called dave wilkinson?orig

spec

Genuine EDS PH2 chipped ECU with high/low boost button
        - 3.5 bar FPR
        - SBD nylon relief valve
        - Silicone vacuum hoses
        - Correct NGK spark plugs
        - Genuine GM 8v sump gasket
        - Cambelt, inlet manifold gasket, rocker cover gasket also changed recently
        - Courtney uprated actuator
        - Polished turbo heat shield
        - Cone air filter
        - Custom cambelt/rocker cover with breather mod
        - Nortech oil level sensor blanking plate
        - Aluminium single bottom pulley
        - Wideband bung welded on the downpipe
        - New cool running thermostat and CTS

the lump cost me £1200

then i went in search for a f28,i didnt realise how hard they where to get a good one untill i started looking lol

davey j put a f28 with lsd on here for sale so i snapped that up as he seemed a good member of the site ect and i didnt want to pay £750 for a box and end up with a stinker lol

so i drove 440 miles round trip to meet him to purchase the box,and lightened fly wheel for £790

absolute spot on is davey couldnt wish to meet a nicer bloke

when i got home i got on ordering all the bits and pieces i needed for the conversion lol i wanted to do it to the best i could afford so i bought

arp fly wheel bolts

bailys dump valve

cortney uprated clutch

crankshaft oil seal

timing belt kit

and last but not least

full roose pipe kit

a snip at only

Last edited by 7unner172; 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
          very nice looking motor, good choice deleting the softstars tbh. warner of mig fame used to have them on his gte, never liked them personally.

you can still get sets of the 3 prong "locking nuts" from vauxhall for those wheel caps, (comes with the little T shaped key) if you havent got a set.
          yeah i purcahsed these dude

thanks for comments

Comment

Jesus you don't hang about do you lol, the car is looking good, and the colour is far better than the black

Comment

just took a quick pic of it now

new decals are geting fitted monday

Comment

Originally posted by MK2-JOHN View Post
                Jesus you don't hang about do you lol, the car is looking good, and the colour is far better than the black
                lol only owned since late march/april haha cheers for comments john bud

Comment

I went from an 8v GTE to a 16v GTE to a 200SX to a Clio 182 & now an MX-5.
                  The 182 was a beast but weird seating position & a peeling leather(?) steering wheel.
                  Brings back memories...

Comment

Originally posted by zygalski View Post
                    I went from an 8v GTE to a 16v GTE to a 200SX to a Clio 182 & now an MX-5.
                    The 182 was a beast but weird seating position & a peeling leather(?) steering wheel.
                    Brings back memories...
                    lol my 182 had 28k and the steering wheel was melted haha horrid seating position

prefer the gte over all my cars

Comment

You have the right idea mate bin the frenchie! (although they are fun to drive). Your Gte looks great colour is bang on and the cesaro's suit the mk2 well and will take bigger brakes
                      At the "cutting" edge of mk2 rust prevention since 1996!

Comment

cheers dude

yeah will be geting 4pots at some stage lol

Comment

opinions on the R888 ?

Comment

they are very good tyres, good on warm/dry day,not that bad on wet either really also look good lol

cons are there price,very noisy on roads,wear down very quick lol

imo they are one of the best tyres for fast road/track but in reality you should keep the. as your track day tyre or have them on a weekend car as for every day driving they wear way to fast lol

Comment

thanks

would you say significantly (like different ball park) better than top range summer road tyre ?

Comment

Working...
                              X