Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GTE 16v. Proud Owner At Last!

Originally posted by tjshill82 View Post
    I'm hoping you may be able to recommend one? I know the are plenty about but I don't want a half arsed job doing. I have friends that have all the gear but not sure the quality will be there. I'm keeping this one for a few years I think
    Well i done all mine myself in my garage. Full restoration from a £50 shitter which went from 1 thing to another lol Heres mine just before i sold it

Comment

The bolt over the input shaft is (usually) a spline drive, can't remember the size.
      That oil leak looks too high to be solely sump. Probably distributor O ring, maybe rocker cover, possibly head gasket (although not very common).
      F16 is very strong box indeed and there's many, many combinations of rations. Long and close, and bigger cars like Cavs had a very very tall final drive.
      Ideal combo really I think is a standard F20 with the 5th gear pair from a F18 diesel box. Good pickup in first 4 then good cruising in longer 5th.

Comment

You sold that beast??? Its amazing? Was it from Lookers Chester in Hoole? It has FM plates so I guess so!!

Comment

Update:

Have been busy with work since my last update but I have managed to find a f20 box out of a Cavalier GSI. Will be picking that up tomorrow. I have also got a rubber sump gasket for the engine, 2 new ARB stabilisers and 2 new ball joints. The engine should be out in the next few days. I want it out to gain access to the bulkhead area and will best out for the bits of welding that need doing here and there.

I am going to invest in a engine stand. I have always wanted one and they are handy things to have...I have got a few days off over the next week so should make some decent progress I hope!!!

Below is a picture I fiddled with to make it look abit better lol. It still has the red bonnet but that will soon be sorted!!

020 by Tjshill82, on Flickr

Comment

Good luck with build. Whip those wings off to inspect the inners as you can bet to find grot in there. Was this on Ebay incidentally? Looks familiar.

Comment

The oil leak is prob from the big crank seal on the gearbox end of the engine. if the engine is coming out would be a good idea to do both crank seals aswell as all the other seals while you at it. Xe's always leak a little it is the nature ofthe beast!

Comment

Thanks... No it was on here Wings are getting replaced so will get a chance to inspect under there!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonka666 View Post
                  The oil leak is prob from the big crank seal on the gearbox end of the engine. if the engine is coming out would be a good idea to do both crank seals aswell as all the other seals while you at it. Xe's always leak a little it is the nature ofthe beast!
                  Yes engine will be out on Thursday. Can't get a Crane until then . Bought the engine stand today. The engine sounded fine so think the internals are ok. Do you have any other advice on what I can do to it whilst it's out?

Ta

Comment

Got the engine out today. The oil cooler pipes were a right bugger to undo!! Everything else was well behaved. Could have done without that dam wind later on when I was lining it up to the engine stand!!!

002 by Tjshill82, on Flickr

003 by Tjshill82, on Flickr

005 by Tjshill82, on Flickr

Comment

The wind did me no favours!! Wish I had a garage. Cleaned the engine up today. The was a thick layer of oil residue all over the block. Made a right mess cleaning it all up. It has come up quite well. The engine sounded fine so am not messing around with it while its out, just going to replace a few gaskets. I also cleaned some of the engine bay up abit. It seems quite solid although will need a small patch of welding by the battery tray.

20XE Dirty by Tjshill82, on Flickr

20XE Clean by Tjshill82, on Flickr

Comment

Got some engine work done yesterday. Drained the oil and removed the sump to fit a new gasket as it was very oily down there. What I did'nt realise is that it has 2 gaskets... Have ordered another one. The sump needed a good shake to come off because so much sealant had been used! I am fitting rubber gaskets instead of cork - am hoping they do a better job than the cork ones. The oil filter was bloody tight too. Could not find my filter wrench so just used a screw driver and light hammer. Also fitted ARP rod bolts just to be on the safe side. I spent ages cleaning all the crap out of the sump and making sure all the gasket mating surfaces were pristine.

It was a nice sunny day yesterday unlike today

The Sun Came Out! by Tjshill82, on Flickr

ARP Rod Bolts by Tjshill82, on Flickr

ARP by Tjshill82, on Flickr

Hard At Work! by Tjshill82, on Flickr

Comment

Whilst it's apart that much I would renew the oil pump gasket too. These are known to leak and you need the sump of to change them too.

Comment

Good plan I will get one!! Am thinking about doing crankshaft oil seals to

Comment

not teaching granny to suck eggs, but did you countersink the big end caps?

deffo worth doing the oil pump gasket, get a metal version from SBD and use a bit of RTV sump sealer.

Comment

Erm I don't quite know what you mean so I guess not at that one!!! This is all new to me so any extra info is greatly recieved...

Comment

Working...
                                X