GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GTE valver fast road/track car project

just read this for the first time. Excellent project here mate, loving it. Very similar to what Im doing and also at a very similar stage!! Great looking car from the outside, but the usual rust gremilns to be sorted.

I will add from my own personal experience of running a GTE trackday car, theres a seem running down the inner wing. Its best got to by removing the wheel. It runs to the rear of the hole for the steering arm to come through. Check this for rust - at least get a bit of stitching done here as my old GTE literally got pulled apart. I also noticed some stess on the plate that the rear wishbone mount is welded to, I need to inspect further but I can see some rust in that area coming through the footwells of your car.

All the best for the project mate!

p.s. just noticed every car in that pictrue above appears to be a vaux (dont know whats under the car covers though!!

Comment

Its a like a pic from a vaux add .

Comment

The one under cover is my other halfs show car, Astra mk3. Soon to be 3.0 V6 but I need to get my GTE sorted first. We've only got 5 Vauxhalls at the moment, 3 of which are mk2 Astra's

Popping down to body shop this afternoon to see if they have started anything yet. Will take a look at the parts Brett mentioned and get them seen to.

Comment

Been at the body shop for three weeks now and they still haven't started it, at least it's off my drive. Keep popping in and telling them I need it back for end of December to help spur them on with it.

I was advised that it would be best to replace both front foot wells so I've just got hold of a pair of Hadrian panels for them to play with. Will get some pics when they start chopping bits out.

As my GTE 16v had a sunroof, as do 99% of them, I had two options. Either plate the hole with a sheet of steel or get a replacement roof skin. I tried everywhere and couldn't find a skin, Vauxhall quoted me £280 + vat but the part is no longer available. I popped down my local scrappers (Albert Looms, Spondon) last week for some other parts and spotted a mk2 with no sunroof, an idea popped into my head and a plan was hatched after speaking with my body shop guys. So with help from my dad and a early start at 08:00 this morning I did this

I now have a near mint roof skin to go on the GTE and it only cost me ?10 As I felt guilty for chopping up a mk2 I closed all the doors afterwards and replaced the boot hatch, don't think anyone will notice the roof is missing now

I?ve also bough a spare pair of front lower wish bone bushes on the advice from Odders and a new header tank as the ABS is not going back on. Also got a screen washer bottle from scrappers and it?s cleaned up really well thanks to the dish washer, don?t tell my other half!

More updates as and when they happen.
          Last edited by Harvey; 19-11-2005, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Loveing that cheesy grin mate! 1st time ive taken a look at this thread, as everyone else has sai, its hard to get your head around it when a mk2 looks so mint on the outside but is shot to bits under the skin! Awesome project you have on the go dude, I love seeing people take a car back to a bare shell then rebuild it. I know I would get it stripped, then get no further! Fair play to you, really looking forward to seeing the progress

Comment

Was just going to say the same as Sipo there about the rust, your heart must of sunk when you found the bulkhead like that

Look forward to seeing it all sorted matey

Comment

Those petrol powered stone cutting saws really are the bizz with the correct blade in. Gander and I have been up at my old GTE cutting various bits off - untill the bloody saw packed in

Where are they going to weld the skin in? If they do the join under where the plastic strip that covers the clips for the roofrack runs then you could maybe replace the clips and hide it?

Comment

good idea doing a roof transplant, that 2nd pic remnded me of ...

Comment

The roof skin is joined along the roof gutters so the join is hidden under the roof rails. Thought about removing the rails completely but that would be going away from the OE outside look I'm hoping to achieve. The roof still had frost on it when I removed it!
                    Last edited by Harvey; 21-11-2005, 08:39 PM.

Comment

The roof skin is easy to replace, theres not actually that many spot welds to clear, tricky bit is its brazed on each corner under the roof rails. The centre support can still be got from the dealers for about £6 as it's the same as the mk3 (which has 2).

I think i got the last roof skin in England (about £230) and this one below me and Meady went to Norway for as he wanted a new one..

Last edited by Steve Heley; 27-11-2005, 11:15 AM.
                      So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Comment

Thought it was about time I popped down to see how the GTE was doing as it had been over two weeks since my last visit, it made me smile when I get there:

Second hand none sunroof roof skin fitted

Engine bay nearly there

Bulk head strengthening

New Hadrian floor pans and cage plates fitted

Couple of inner wing patches

Comment

Some nice work there..
                          So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Comment

Indeed, some good work on the go. Will be a top motor when you are done

Comment

re your PM Harvey, I replied then came to check the thread as you said it has been updated.

2nd pic from bottom is the join that needs stitching up, runs top to bottom about an inch to the rear of the hole in the inner wing for the steering arm to come through.

Comment

some good work by the looks of it mate keep it up dude
                                Last edited by GazJevs84; 17-12-2005, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X