No announcement yet.

GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give the timing belt cover a mini makeover and repainted it a few days ago.

Having spare grey tinted polycarbonate sheeting I replaced the manky looking clear window with a more dynamic looking version

Comment

• That looks cool

Comment

• I had a sneaky suspicion the crank case breather and dip stick tubes were weeping oil where they are press fitted into the alloy casting so sourced a known good none leaking spare and gave it a mini make over.
        Top is the refreshed replacement and brand new metal gasket with bottom being the leaky item.

Suspect leaking place.

All nice and clean down there.

Fitted with the gasket having extra Reinzosil both sides for extra sealing power.

Comment

• The GTE although not being used hasn’t gone unloved. I noticed the exhaust wrap was showing its age after 10 years of abuse. Not falling off but easily torn lasting well as it was protected with VHT exhaust paint.
          Decided the best idea was to over wrap it so I started with this.

Then it was ready for a good coating of VHT exhaust paint.

Now reinstalled and looking good.

Having not started the GTE since last September I thought it best I bring it to life. Popped some fresh fuel in, primed the oil pump and it then fired straight up with no issues. This was the initial start-up specs; top left oil pressure psi, bottom left oil temp, top right battery voltage, bottom right coolant temp.

This was after 15 minutes of idling and fast idling holding at 2k rpm.

I then noticed the fuel pressure was running low at 1.5bar, can only assume the FPR had relaxed somehow.

I sorted this by adjusting the pressure and reset it to what it should be 2.6bar (38psi).

I also sorted another job I’d been putting off for such a long time. The coil pack loom has always been tight so I lengthened it by 80mm added heat shrink and a posh rubber boot at the plug.

Comment

• Good work as always Harvey

Comment

• Having never bothered installing the funky spark plug cover after converting the GTE to a track car I was chatting with a friend who had a few spares as I sold my metal cover years ago. He offered me a later plastic cover in decent condition with a nice patina (posh word for used) finish. Quite happy with that as it breaks up the white in the engine bay.

Comment

• very posh Harvey

Comment

• Nice work Harvey

Comment

• It's 12 years exactly to the day that I dragged my (at the time finished) track car all the way up to Knock Hill for a magazine photoshoot as featured in the June 2009 edition of Total Vauxhall. I can't forget it as I had the absolute pleasure to meet the 90s BTCC legend John Cleland who I got to sign my slam panel and passenger in my own car when he drove it round the circuit. It was worth all 13 hours of trailer towing and strangely for Knock Hill the sun came out! The car has evolved since then but from the outside looks identical. The other Astra GTE in the background is owned by Vauxhall and is part of the Vauxhall Heritage Centre collection.

Last edited by Harvey; 12-04-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• I’ve got a track day at Blyton Park booked for June and thought I better get the GTE ready so need to do some road miles next month. Checked it over on Wednesday prior to the MOT.

Then it was dee day yesterday so off I popped to my go to MOT centre Betta Fit, straight opposite Ikea Nottingham.

The scores on the doors, it’s a PASS

While there I got them to rotate my track day rubber of choice on the rims, lovely Dunlop DZ03. Well used but I’ll get another days hard use out of them before I get the Toyo R888R installed that I’ve got stashed in my loft.

Had a weird fuelling issue which I finally traced to the fuel pressure gauge so out with the old Fuel Performance on the left and in with the new Sytec on the right.

Gauge removed from the FPR.

Fitted and set to 2.6bar (38psi), apologies for the angle as it’s hard to picture with stuff in the way.

I’m really looking forward to getting it back on circuit, it’s natural habitat. Driving it on the road feels like an assault on all the senses and you just want to get out after 20 mins.

Last edited by Harvey; 26-04-2021, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• Car sounds good Harvey, love the sound of the the Throttle Bodies.
                        Did it pass the M.O.T?

Comment

• Yarp, I mentioned it in my post AndyGee

Comment

• Opps, missed that bit of your post, need to work on my post Covid reading skills.
                            Still, I can see the pictures and the Car looks like its ready for a rip round the Park, and I am dammed sure the owner is....

Comment

• Nice to get the mot chitty signed Harvey

Comment

• Loaded and ready for action tomorrow, more updates next week

Comment

Working...
                                X