GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GTE valver fast road/track car project

Bit of an entertaining day today as my GTE went to Noble Motorsport who are based in Chesterfield for a health check and power run. Good news is most of it went well and my engine didn’t blow up…few…however my power figures were down on expected and I have been recommend to get the engine remapped. So I’m going to get it booked in for a couple of weeks time to get fully mapped and hopefully unleash an extra 30bhp ish and 10ibft ish on the figures I got today. As you can see below the power graph is some what entertaining above 5K. To be honest I’m happy it’s been given a clean bill of health and the fuelling is spot on but obviously disheartened the power isn’t where it should be.

Here’s some pics of the tacho now I have it working. I’ve also borrowed my mates Auto Meter tacho which is huge and has a highest reading recall button. As you can see it went all the way up on the rolling road.

Last edited by Harvey; 12-09-2008, 06:38 PM.

Comment

the only thing that has changed from now and 2 years ago is the filteration ? is the clearance to the trumpets sufficient ? it should not be pressed up to their openings.

peak power still at 7800 suggest the engine is capable of processing air, but cylinders are not filling as well. something is hindering it, cam timing, or something else.

he said the fuelling is spot on, yet says its needs a remap ? (loaded question since they are have product to sell) there arent any downsides to a fresh setup from scratch though

also, i'd get them to increase rev limit beyond 8k since you have steel rods now, or atleast until power starts dropping off. i know its still on hydraulic lifters but they will take 8500 in short bursts (which it will be sincve youd only be up that end of the rev range for a split second before gear change)

Comment

Was you in the dyno garage whilst they were doing the work Harvey? I never tried as I got the impression you weren't allowed to...

Comment

Trumpet clearance is fine as I have the exact same depth filter as the ITG only difference is it's a Pipercross. I don't notice any drop off when driving either. I thought it a little strange as I've only changed the rods but saying that the engine has been apart as well as the head stripped down. Can the cams be installed incorrectly, exhaust in inlet and inlet in exhaust as I've never trusted the head place I used? recent cam pic below. I've not altered the vernier timings and they are in the correct place inlet and exhaust as they were marked. Timing is spot on as I checked it about 10 times before, as far as I'm aware.

No I wasn't in the dyno room Mick but in hindsight I wish I had asked to be. I'm no rolling road expect and these guys are.

As I said the cars drives spot on and I have the money for a remap so think I'll just bite the bullet and get it done.

Last edited by Harvey; 13-09-2008, 09:52 AM.

Comment

fairly certain the cams are punched along their shank somewhere, perhaps something as simple as INL and EX, or possibly the cam spec 284 and 276

you had the head skimmed didnt you ?

Comment

Head was skimmed but it had the bare minimum removed. Will get the rocker off again and double check the cam markings. Don't get me wrong I'm super happy with the engines current setup and the car drives superb, I love it to bits. Fingers crossed all checks out OK with the cams and then I'll get it remapped and see what happens.
              Last edited by Harvey; 15-09-2008, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Planning on calling SBD in relation to the cams to confirm if they can be installed the wrong way round. Will let you know what they say.
                Last edited by Harvey; 15-09-2008, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Couple of 'issues' found this weekend.

The coolant temp sensor for the dash gauge is leaking, easy fix with some PTFE tape. Only does it when it's cold and when up to temp doesn't drop a drip.

The crank shaft sensor is leaking a tiny amount so a new seal is on order.

Comment

Originally posted by harvey View Post
                    Only does it when it's cold and when up to temp doesn't drop a drip.
                    Best cure is keep driving it and don't let it go cold then eh?!

Nice to know that you're not having any major issues and only a few teething problems.

Comment

Been a busy one this evening…

Pics of the leaking crank sensor and the new seal fitted. I don’t even think there was one fitted in the first place as I can’t find the old one.

I believe I've found my coolant leak and it’s the temp gauge sender but I also think the thermostat housing was leaking so replaced the seal on that as well.

All the above now refitted and had the engine run up to temp to test, no leaks so far.

I was tempted with a replacement helmet for the OMP one I bought the other week and found the exact one I wanted being sold on MIGweb, so thought sod it I’ll have it. It’s a Sparco Jet Pro that was a bit of a bargain. My OMP brand new, boxed, unused helmet is for sale here if anyone is interested.

My new bargain

Last edited by Harvey; 19-09-2008, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I can report no further coolant leak or oil leak issues so I just need to double check the cams are installed the correct way round as SBD have confirmed they can be incorrectly installed with the DIS setup. If they are found to be correctly installed then I'll be booking a mapping session within the next couple of weeks.

Comment

good stuff mate love the updates and pics

Comment

Just for comparison here's a plot of the mapping session DarrenH had when he owned my engine.

Here's my power run at Nobles with the only mods being; uprated H-beam rods, very very slight head skim and I'm running a different sausage filter. As you can see I wasn't expecting any power gains nor was I expecting a 31bhp loss and 22ibft loss I still need to check the cams (which I'll be doing this evening) are installed the correct way round as SBD have confirmed with a DIS setup the cams could be reversed with inlet in exhaust and vice versa.

Comment

i think, to be diplomatic, even if track n road had pumped the figures to customer appeasing levels, what would remain constant between two similar rolling roads is the actual shape of the torque curve. and they arent really comparable at the business end.

imho it has to point to mechanical/electrical discrepencies.

Comment

Completely understand what your saying Darren so I'm hoping to check the cam installation later today.

Comment

Working...
                                X