GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GTE valver fast road/track car project

the loom side I really enjoyed! the amount of wires in the trailer socket is astonishing sint it LMFAO!

check control removal is where the real fun starts though

Comment

toms' spreadsheet says he removed 6kg of unused loom !!!

Comment

I weighed mine, along with all the relays, control boxes and units etc etc and it came to just under 10kg!!!

Comment

Sunday fun in the living room while watching all the live action from the first round of the BTCC at Brands. It doesn’t look much but all this wiring is out of my GTE 16v, you can see I’ve stole Brett’s idea with the wiring loom plan laid out on the right of the picture.

ABS loom in the foreground, scrap to the left light loom and main loom in the middle. My ABS is going on Amanda’s Astra mk3 when I get around to fitting the 3.0 V6 I have stashed away in my shed.

ABS, c/l + e/h/m + e/w and scrap.

Head light and tail light loom ready for refitting which got done on Sunday evening just before I lost the light.

Wing bolts that got their final top coat in between rain showers on Sunday, let them to dry in the kitchen on the double radiator.

I have got the central locking loom completed this evening and removed the e/h/m and e/w wiring which formed about 75% of this loom. The bag of scrap is now getting heavy and I still have the main car loom yet to attack.

Comment

looking very good mate!! the wiring diagram was steve heleys idea, he posted my one down to me. makes life so much easier.

Refitting it to the boot is loads of fun, trying to thread it down the rear sill withough damaging the flex.... be patient... LOL!

Comment

I haven't used the wiring diagram yet as I know most of the wiring like the back of my hand in the Astra mk2, now that is really sad. Let's see if I can manage not looking at it for the main loom, I think not.

Comment

You put so much effort into all your cars Harvey you must have daily deliverys of Red Bull lol

Comment

Since my last update I've been busy with the main car loom and chopping all the wires out I don't need. I haven't weighed it yet but I have a carrier bag full of wires but guess it's at least 3kg.

Finally, the looms are back in the car.

A little blurry but I have just managed to fit the fuse box back where the cage goes through the dash, decided to keep it in its original location.

I was talking with a friend and we came up with a thought. Due to the seats being as low as possible the steering rack would be sitting a little too high even though it’s adjustable. I then had a thought and mocked these spacers up yesterday and it works a treat and lowers the column perfectly without putting any extra stress on the rubber doughnut.

Lowering the column also helps with space through the dash.

The dash also got its last trial fit yesterday before I flock the top half and get the screen fitted next weekend.

Comment

Looks good mate

Comment

I decided to properly seal the rear screen and side quarter windows from the outside with black silicon so popped to B&Q yesterday and spent a few hours getting very messy. I also dug the rear spoiler out on Friday and gave it a good t-cut and polish before fitting. To complete yesterday I aligned the boot hatch so it fits properly, it's been bugging me for weeks but it’s sorted now.

Comment

Cut down the GTE gear stick by 40mm yesterday and modified the lift up collar to take account of the shortened stick. Also managed to get the top of the dash flocked with the kit I bough from www.frost.co.uk, don’t know what it will look like yet as you have to leave it 24 hours to dry. Will get pics up later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by harvey
                          Cut down the GTE gear stick by 40mm yesterday and modified the lift up collar to take account of the shortened stick. Also managed to get the top of the dash flocked with the kit I bough from www.frost.co.uk, don’t know what it will look like yet as you have to leave it 24 hours to dry. Will get pics up later this week.
                          Any pics of the flocked dash yet?
                          I've just bought mel's black dash so i'm tempted to do this before i fit it.

p.s. can't find it on that site what's it listed under please bud?

Regards

Comment

I’ve been busy doing other things this week so the dash is still hanging up in my shed, I'll get it down this evening and take some pics for you. I think it needs touching up in places but I can't properly see due to lack of light. Look here for the flocking kit http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9191 I have so far used half the glue and all the flock from the kit to do the sides and top of my dash. I also bought three extra bags of flock and an extra tub of glue. When I applied the glue I spread it with a small paint brush and simply sprayed the flock on. I used a big sheet and the extra flock that didn’t stick got swept up and reused.

Comment

Nice one, cheers. Look forward to seeing what the dash comes out like mate, sounds good

Comment

Looked at the flocking I did last weekend and it’s OK. It’s not 100% but it’s OK for my first attempt. At least it’ll stop the dash reflection in bright sunlight. I have also used foam filer in the side screen vents that sit under the speaker grills as they won’t function as intended as the grills aren’t going back in the car.

Picked my new front screen up from Vauxhall today and hoping to get it fitted over the bank holiday.

Here’s my shortened gear stick. I could take another 10mm off if I really wanted but I think it’s short enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X