GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GTE valver fast road/track car project

My window bolts are stainless steel. Originally they were a brushed stainless finish but I had them zinc plated in black along with my wheel nuts and Veccy ST200 wheel bolts. I didn't want them to stick out when fitted to the car, that's why I had them plated. You can't remove them front the outside of the car as they have shake proof washers and nyloc nuts on the inside, took two of use bloody ages to fit them all. I still need to tidy the window install as I'm going to put a bead of black silicone round the outside edge of the rear quarter windows and rear screen. If you need anymore info drop me a PM.

Comment

It’s been a while since my last post but I’ve been a busy bee painting and cleaning things. The under side of the GTE is now fully under sealed with two full hand painted coats including the front and rear inner arches.

The rear beam is painted and ready for fitting this weekend. I have also made up some blanks for the ABS sensor holes. I have also over hauled the rear calipers and painted them.

I have cleaned my rear Koni shockers and they have come up really well. Just need to do the same on the rear springs.

Comment

wow, that looks really good harvey, deffinatly help it last a few more years! I havent had the paitence to sit there and underseal the whole of my car yet, funnily enough yet again we're working n the same areas at the same time, Im working in the beam this weekend and planning to underseal the back like you have!

good to see its still coming along mate

Comment

Looks very impressive. Can't wait to see the finished item.

Comment

Brett...that’s just spooky…

I bought a set of springs for my GTE over a year ago and have just dug them out. After comparing the rears to the Eibachs I was running they are 1" shorter but are a stiffer spring. I don't know what make the set is that I have but they are red with yellow print on the spring, possibly PI/Jamex/G-Max. I have now painted the rear pair and will try them instead of the Eibachs to see if it's any lower after refitting the rear beam.

Rear beam now have back plates, stub axles and hand brake shoes fitted and is ready to be mounted to the car. this will be done either later today or tomorrow, pics to follow.
            Last edited by Harvey; 01-04-2006, 02:09 PM.

Comment

The difference in height of the Eibach and unknown rear springs.

[img]http://www.em51ey.co.uk/GTE%2016v/rebuild/P2180057Medium.jp[/IM2]

The rear beam still not fitted as I just didn’t get time today.

Also picked up a pair of track rod ends yesterday as I’ve replaced the lower ball joints so thought I might as well do these.

Comment

Didn’t think I’d managed it as I’ve been busy doing other none car related things today but finally the rear beam is now fitted. Got to fit the rear discs and hand brake cable and them she can be lower back to the ground. A big thanks to Andy for the helping hand once again.

Decided to try a little trick I have done to Amanda’s Astra mk3 and not run the rear damper pads, been using this on her car for over two years and it’s been fine. Use duck tape around the springs upper and lower pig tails. This method lowers the rear another 10mm or so.

Comment

thats not a bad idea that does it not wear the metal near the springs out tho harvey? looking veru clean under there by the way,.

Comment

Not had any problems on the mk3 with the springs rubbing the metal away. The duck tape helps to stop this. As I said before it's been fitted on the mk3 for over two years with no problems and still passes the MOT.

Comment

Managed to get the read hubs/discs fitted and the handbrake cable last night.

I also painted the lower rear valence and lower outer rear quarters as these tend to rot away so they might last a bit longer now.

Here you can see the stud conversion I have fitted, only used two wheel nuts as the wheels will come off again when I’m sorting the brakes out.

The rear n/s spring mount without damper pads installed.

Comment

Managed to t-cut and polish the rear bumper before fitting my freshly painted trims and finally putting it back on the car, all this got done last night and finished in the dark as usual. I'll get some pics this evening as I'm hoping to have a play with the front door windows before digging out the wiring at the weekend...full steam ahead in the vague hope it will be complete for Retro.

Comment

The rear bumper with freshly painted inserts.

I was replacing the track rod ends only to find that the near side one hadn't been threaded all the way through and I dont have and taps that big so going to swap it today for another one.

Comment

Track rod ends and steering arms now fitted. Done a few small jobs on the GTE today and gave it a breather from sitting under the cover. Have now started work on lightening the loom and will post pics tomorrow. Got a set of decent wing bolts from the scrappers on my last visit and primed them today, top coat to follow tomorrow.

Comment

if you still need a bottom pully pm me your addy and i will send you one on tuesday

Comment

Attacked the looms over the weekend and fitted the light loom yesterday evening, will post pics this evening. Don't think I'll be moving the fuse box now as it'll be a pain to do and will involve a lot more work than I first thought.

So far stripped out the following looms/wires:
                                ABS
                                Radio and speaker
                                Headlight levers
                                Brake pad wear sensors
                                Heater rear window
                                Rear wiper
                                Trailer wiring

I'm keeping everything so I can weigh it when I'm done, not because I'm sad but for curiosity. I have also decided to keep the central locking as the car will need to be kept secure as I'll be using it on the road and the doors have been de-locked.
                                Last edited by Harvey; 10-04-2006, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X