GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GTE valver fast road/track car project

Things now left are to sorted the MBE engine wiring and get it installed, another coat of heat resistance paint on the manifold and then install the exhaust, install the battery and finish the wiring, install the seat and harness and then enjoy. Doesn't sound like a lot and I'm sure I've missed a few things out but it does take time and if it's raining, like it is now, I can't do anything.

Comment

check you out painting a polished stainless steel manifold lol!

having said that i painted my lexmal, it does stop the heat staining and bronzing

Comment

Harvey your fuel pipes look badly kinked over in this pic, is it just my eyes ?

Comment

I think it's just the way the pics been took. If you look at how the light hits the side of the pipeo n the right, it's in a nice flowing line, if it were badly kinked, it would have a sharp edge on the light where it'll be almost right angled. Doesnt look like that in that pic, but it does look a bit 'flatter'. Maybe it's just the pic.

Comment

yeah i dont think its contestable that they have not flattened on the curve, but they havent kinked kinked, it should be workabl, the cross section still looks bigger total than standard

Comment

Originally posted by harvey View Post
              Fuel lines fitted, not 110% happy with them but it’ll do for now until I come up with another solution and yes Kev the Kunifer stuff is an arse to work with
              It really is isn't it. I had to heat mine up before I could bend it. Even in my proper pipe bender it still wants to kink. Good job mine's under the car where you can't see it! I'd hate to make brake pipe out of the stuff.

Comment

Brake pipes are easy and very workable but when you get to the the bigger kunifer stuff all I'll recommend to people is don't bother as it's a sod to work with.

Comment

I can’t believe it, had a dry day here in Nottingham so I cracked on with the GTE. I've got insperation from somewhere and if I had another week at it I'm sure it would be running...oh my god it's nearly there...

MBE engine loom installed with a few mods here and there, just need a bulkhead grommet to complete the install

Additional engine earths installed and I also picked up the rear of the block, a well known Astra mk3 trick

To complete the engine wiring I just need to extend the +ve feed into the car once I’ve decided where I’m mounting the battery

While I was soldering my head off today I decided to finish the install of the Vectra estate high level brake light, decided not to cut into the OE loom so soldered straight onto the rear of the bulb holder to pickup the brake light live and earth

Comment

Still making good progress Harvey, you really look like you've just got a couple of days work left now. I'll give the Kunifer stuff a miss then. OK for brake pipes, but not fuel, is that a fair assessment?

Ian.
                    See my project car HERE.

Comment

Originally posted by harvey View Post
                      Brake pipes are easy and very workable but when you get to the the bigger kunifer stuff all I'll recommend to people is don't bother as it's a sod to work with.
                      Yeah but thats not proper Kunifer you've used for the brakes dude, as I've said before thats just boggo standard cupro nickel motorfactors pipe. It can loosely be called a grade of kunifer. If you had proper Kunifer 3/16th pipe, the same colour as the fuel stuff you have and the same grade as porsche/audi etc use OE now you wouldn't be able to form it with ease!

Originally posted by Ian T View Post
                      Still making good progress Harvey, you really look like you've just got a couple of days work left now. I'll give the Kunifer stuff a miss then. OK for brake pipes, but not fuel, is that a fair assessment?

Ian.
                      I've never used proper kunifer 3/16th brake pipe Ian, it will be a sod to form that's for sure. The advantage with it is that it can be broken into many times and re-used after maintenance as long as the unions are ok. If you keep undoing and doing up copper pipe it weakens it very quickly, or twists it, then you have to cut it back and re-flare.

Comment

I love this thread...everythings so clean!! GOod work

Comment

• Finished work early yesterday so cracked on with the GTE last night.

Another coat of high temp paint on the manifold to help seal the zorst wrap

Prep work before manifold install

What the oil cooler install looks like

Manifold fitted

I was on a run so thought sod it I’ll fit the whole exhaust system

Also got the hoses cut down (they are designed for a Cav/Cally) and trial fitted, just need some jubilee clips and a length of red hose for the small expansion bottle outlet to intake manifold

Some spare left over hose, before anyone asks no it’s not for sale

Off out to do some more now...
                          Last edited by Harvey; 04-05-2019, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Looking good Harvey.

Comment

good update. really coming along

Comment

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel Darren. If I keep this up it might even be running in a couple of weeks. My plan is to have it running for Billing so fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                                X