GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GTE valver fast road/track car project

I went through the whole car loom with a fine tooth comb and have properly removed everything I don't need.

Comment

yeah I did much the same as far as i trusted my electrical skills. And I still havent hooked it up to a battery yet! I avoided playing with lives where I could though.

Comment

Brett, harvey...

the radiators are the same thing. the 17D radiatprs are the same used on the daewoo mk2 versions. (the ones i've had are the same as those)

but, the fans are not 100% the same.

on sartuday i picked up a plastic second hand fan assembly... i said "groovy this is lighter"... then i went to install it and the bloody thing hitted the standard XE manifold.

i had to do this:

and the assembly is still strong.

Last edited by Efrain A.; 04-05-2006, 08:54 PM.
        '88 Pontiac Lemans (Astra GTE 16v) 146.6WHP/135lb.ft 20XEJ, ET: 14.81@98mph, 60 ft.: 2.29
        Daewootech.com Forums admin

Comment

I dont have the option of plastic fan on mine sadly, Ive got a turbo sitting there ready to do its own modifications to a plastic fan! ionteresting though. I owunder if the diesels have some sort of hybrid 16v/8v front!
          Last edited by Brett; 04-05-2006, 09:24 PM.

Comment

The diesel used the same front lower x-member and wish bones and I think some even had the same gear selector setup through the bulk head like the GTE 16v. It's amazing what you find out on EPC.

Thanks for the tip regarding the plastic fan assembly.

Managed to finish off the alarm wiring and I have now got the dash properly installed. Didn't finish until it was dark so I'll get some pictures tomorrow when I get in from work. Decided not to both re-flocking it as it'll do as it is.
            Last edited by Harvey; 04-05-2006, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett
              I dont have the option of plastic fan on mine sadly, Ive got a turbo sitting there ready to do its own modifications to a plastic fan! ionteresting though. I owunder if the diesels have some sort of hybrid 16v/8v front!

i have a plastic one in my astra

Comment

Yet another busy evening on the GTE as I won't get anytime this weekend. Replaced the top o/s hinge pin as I had play in my existing, took a bit of persuasion to get the old one out but my patients paid off and I eventually managed it. Fitted the vent ducting and my suspicions came true as I have to mod the rear of the outer most side vents.

Here’s some pics of the dash finally fitted and bolted in place.

Also fitted the alloy spacers to help lower the steering column roughly 20mm. Keif who fitted the studs in my hubs machined these for me, cheers bud.

Another point to note that some of you may be interested in is the black B pillar vinyl and boot vinyl. I made some enquiries at a local vinyl supplier as the OE stuff I have won't fit properly due to me not using the original exterior rear quarter rubbers. www.thevinylcorporation.co.uk sell an exact match to the original vinyl called 'blackboard vinyl' and it's sold by the meter with a max width of 610mm at ?12+vat (?14.10). If anyone would like me to get them some and bring it to PVS/Retro/Billing drop me a PM as it'll save you the postage cost.

Comment

The dash is looking swell mate!
                  Liking the vauxhall logo carpet in your lounge tho!

Comment

I will take a roll of that at RC Harvey please! Unless your interested in parting with the OE side vinyls?

Comment

Any close up pics to see how close the match is?
                      So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Comment

looking class still harvey, retro still the target?

Comment

Don't think it'll be quite ready for Retro as I'm not cutting any corners to get if finish in a hurry. I'll get a close up of the vinyl later today and do a side by side comparison with the OE vinyl I have.

Comment

if it fits well you can count me in

Comment

I was going to mask mine not being able to find any in the right width. I'll be at retro hopefully with my astra, so I will check out the web sight cheers

Comment

Here’s a picture of the OE door pillar vinyl on the left and the stuff I bough last week on the right. The OE vinyl is ever so slightly a smoother finish but I prefer the harder wearing vinyl I have bought. You could probably smooth the stuff I have down a little by t-cutting it once its been applied to the car. If anyone would like a small sample I’m sure the company I bought from will be able to supply one as this is what I did initially before I parted with any money.

Last edited by Harvey; 08-05-2006, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X