GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
    according to AC delco sheet the 3rd sector on LCD dash marked as 12, represents the bracket of 12.7 volts through 14.
    Thanks for the info Darren. I know there's a spec for the LCD dash 'blobs' as I call them but couldn't find it, have you got a link?

Comment

• Great info on the Alternator Voltages, I've always wondered what it should actually be pumping out..
      Now that you have the car running again, did re-packing the Exhaust Silencer Boxes with "Acousta-fit" lower the exhaust noise?

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyGee View Post
        Now that you have the car running again, did re-packing the Exhaust Silencer Boxes with "Acousta-fit" lower the exhaust noise?
        To the human ear it has lowered the noise but I've not had it sound checked with a noise meter yet. I'll get this done at some point.

Comment

• After driving the GTE in the dark the other month I decided to upgrade the bulbs but didn?t want to mess with the wiring so opted for Osram Night Breaker Laser. Not driven it in the dark since fitting as the days are longer but I?m happy in the knowledge I?ll be able to see where I?m going as I?ve used the Unlimited version in previous vehicle with great results.

I?m that impressed with the SPA oil pressure/oil temperature gauge and with the recent alternator issue I wanted the SPA voltage/water temperature version. This would mean moving the dash temp sensor as the SPA is a 1/8NPT and I wanted to fit that in the correct location next to the CTS. Initially I bought an inline hose adaptor for less than ?3 off eBay with 1/8NPT hole but have since dropped that plan. Last weekend I found I had an early genuine GM thermostat housing which has a M10x1.0 bleed hole and with 1/8NPT being such a close match I slowly screwed it in and it fits lovely and snug. I?m since added PTFE and a copper washer to avoid any leaks.

Last week I traded in my spare lung, kidney and hairy left big toe for this SPA bad boy, they are so darn expensive but so darn good. It?s the SPA DG204 with more info on the SPA site here.

Comment

• Good call on the Nightbreakers, I've used them (and the Silverstars before them) for years - in fact, alongside rewiring them with relays, they have made the Mk3 daily's headlights genuinely good. A set only lasts me a year in the Mk3 but then that's 12k miles on average.

I'll be interested to see how you think the Laser ones compare to the Unlimited ones. I find the Laser ones seem a bit whiter (since they have a slightly bluer filter), but that actually cuts down the light output slightly and I have gone back to the Unlimited ones...

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyGee View Post
              Yes it has as I had it tested using proper kit yesterday and the scores on the doors were 94dB. It was 98dB prior to the repacking. It's also noticeably quieter which I believe is down to the center box now having actual wadding in there.

Got a few updates to post as I've been slacking of late, will get them sorted later this week.

Comment

• I had the GTE back at AP Racing Engine for a heath check earlier this month and all was good with spark plugs checked plus compression and leak down test performed prior to strapping it on the rollers. It?s now running lower compression so I had a sneaky suspicion power would be down but driving it I can feel no difference. The map was tweaked as fuelling was rich throughout and the base idle from cold and hot was moved up a smidge.

The final scores on the doors were 205bhp/161lbft. Most importantly it?s now safe to thrash all day long as my aim for the fresh build was to construct a reliable engine that both starts nicely and can be driven hard all day. The torque is lovely and flat and the power delivery is super smooth, it feels really punchy so I?m very very happy with the results.

It was then time to mount my new SPA gauge so I started with this.

After a few hours it progressed into this.

Before finally becoming this. Super happy with the outcome.

I went to look at a potential replacement for the tow truck and fell in love so bought an 18month old Amarok V6. We?ll be keeping this one a while that?s for sure and I?ve already blinged it with a few extras. I just need to get the beastie Touareg V10 Altitude sold so if you?re interested click me. Also decided to shift our daily hack so if you?re after an ultra-rare Vectra VXR Estate click me. This picture was taken the day we collected the Amarok.

Comment

• Last Sunday I attended the shakedown event for all the changes I?ve made over the last 6 months from new seats, Rose Joint front lower arms and the engine refresh. I decided Blyton Park would be the perfect venue and a few mates joined me out on track with their motors. The day went well and I used the Mintel F4R front brake pads for the time time?they are brutal and are exactly what I?m looking for. The bite is something else and you can really feel the brakes which gives plenty of confidence. The car felt perfectly balanced and a couple of mates took it out and gave great feedback saying it was AWESOME, lol. Best of all we all survived with no issues all day which is unheard of and very unusual!

I checked the car over last night and found no leaks; a redtop that doesn?t leak, this is unheard of! Give it time, it?ll start soon enough. As all looked good I thought stuff it and have booked onto Mallory Park on 9th July.

Here?s some Blyton Park pictures taken last Sunday 23rd June, I hope you enjoy them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                    After driving the GTE in the dark the other month I decided to upgrade the bulbs but didn?t want to mess with the wiring so opted for Osram Night Breaker Laser. Not driven it in the dark since fitting as the days are longer but I?m happy in the knowledge I?ll be able to see where I?m going as I?ve used the Unlimited version in previous vehicle with great results.

I?m that impressed with the SPA oil pressure/oil temperature gauge and with the recent alternator issue I wanted the SPA voltage/water temperature version. This would mean moving the dash temp sensor as the SPA is a 1/8NPT and I wanted to fit that in the correct location next to the CTS. Initially I bought an inline hose adaptor for less than ?3 off eBay with 1/8NPT hole but have since dropped that plan. Last weekend I found I had an early genuine GM thermostat housing which has a M10x1.0 bleed hole and with 1/8NPT being such a close match I slowly screwed it in and it fits lovely and snug. I?m since added PTFE and a copper washer to avoid any leaks.

Last week I traded in my spare lung, kidney and hairy left big toe for this SPA bad boy, they are so darn expensive but so darn good. It?s the SPA DG204 with more info on the SPA site here.

Never knew that?s what those holes are for in the thermostat holders got a few new

Comment

• it looks fantastic H whats your critique of the group A arms ?

Comment

it looks fantastic H whats your critique of the group A arms ?
                        To be perfectly honest it hasn't made such a difference that I can feel a huge improvement but I'm not a racing driver. The car feels extremely stable and corners like it's on rails but it did before the arms...the brake pad change to the F4R compound on the other hand, wow, amazing and a HUGE improvement. I'm also no longer running a front anti-roll-bar just to thrown that into the mix, it currently has motorsport fixing holding it out the way. I'll see how I get on at Mallory in a weeks time, you're more than welcome to pop up and have a drive.

Comment

• Popped down to Mallory on 9th July for a Javelin track day with the Team Shonky Vauxhall posse. All went OK but I noted my oil temps were getting high and further checks I noted the oil cooler was stone cold. I worked around it for the day so no biggie. I still couldn’t grasp Gerrards as my head was saying no but the car was shouting yes, I’ll crack it one day.

Action shots thanks to Javelins free photos.

Investigations post Mallory and I found the OE oil stat adaptor bore (right) was substantially smaller than the Mocal stat version (left) I had previously used and never had any issues with.

Plan was hatched and I ordered a Mocal non stat sandwich plate. If the oil tempts get too cold I’ll just shove something in front of the oil cooler, sorted.

Last edited by Harvey; 15-08-2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• brilliant action shots

what do you reckon was up with the mocal stat? not opening ?

Comment

what do you reckon was up with the mocal stat? not opening ?
                              It was an OE stat I had fitted as my Mocal stat got chewed by the drive shaft. I had oil heating issue at Blyton so removed the stat completely for Mallory but still had issues. I believe the M16 to 1/2BSP adapters hole was too small so was forcing high pressure/low flow which was not enough to get the hot oil to the cooler. When I had the Mocal sandwich installed it offers low pressure/high flow. That's my understanding of the issue as the oil cooler was stone cold at Mallory but the lines had some heat in them about 20cm from the sandwich on both flow and return but the rest to the cooler was cold. When I use it next I'll see what happens with the non-stat Mocal, if it's no good I'll get a plumbed in-line stat fitted as I can't use a Mocal sandwich with built-in stat now I've got the RJ front arms fitted.
                              Last edited by Harvey; 22-08-2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Not ran the car up to temp since fitting the new none-stat Mocal oil sandwich plate so did that yesterday. I?m pleased to say the oil is circulating nicely through the oil cooler pipes and rad so I?d say that?s sorted. No leaks with temps took right up with the car static as I SORNed it the other month as I knew I wouldn?t have to time to play.

I've removed the stainless coil mount as it?s cracked so going to get it made in mild steel which will be stronger and far less prone to cracking as I?ll add some gusseting. Stainless is obviously too brittle to use for the mount.

On a side note I must say I do love the LCD dash and this is why I have kept it and not gone down the Stack route. Lots of ?digital? stuff going on with analogue thrown into the mix for a bit of needle sweeping fun

Comment

Working...
                                X