Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDR is a true art in my opinion.

Comment

• Decided to get the new lower radiator hose installed this week. My old mishmash hose and the new funky OE look silicone.

Initial fitting, I forgot just how tight things are with a V6 in there, even with the intake removed for better access the block end of the hose was fiddly.

Everything back together and looking so much better without a hose jointed.

After discussions with the wife we both decided the rear end required a tweak so I removed this last month.

It got removed due to plans in place to sort the wife?s ?tips?......just stop it you dirty minded lot!

After considering various options of painted, powder coated and ceramic coating and me wanting a perfect match to the existing trim and wheels I opted to have them painted. A chat with my paint guy and he was happy to give it a go. So I collect this the other week in all its ?L177 Vauxhall Technical Grey? glory.

After finding some motivation to get it fitted I cracked on the other day. I had just enough room and didn?t have to remove the rear bumper.

The pictures don?t really do it justice as it looks so much better in real life. Time will tell if the paint will last but going by the intake which has been done the same and going strong I?m hoping it?ll be fine.

Last edited by Harvey; 17-03-2018, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• First drive of the year tonight after sorting the tax, let the smiles per mile begin for 2018

Popping to a meet this Saturday morning 08:30 to 10:30 arranged by Stratstone at their offices near M1 J27, further details and all 2018 meet dates here.

Comment

• The wife and I had yet another great weekend at VBOA 2018. You could see all the hard work and effort that was put into the show to make this year run as smoothly as it did. What a great event and we?ll definitely be back next year. It was nice catching up with both old and new colleagues and there were some lovely Vauxhalls at the event.

Ready for the off loaded with all the camping gear.

The wife?s Astra mk3 and my mk2 on the VxDC stand.

Comment

• It was that wonderful time of year when any vehicle older than 3 years has the annual Ministry of Transport roadworthiness check/test. I got the old girl booked for its exam at my new favourite garage Betta Fit auto Centre opposite Ikea in Nottingham. They come highly recommend, good bunch of peeps, know their stuff, don?t rip you off and a real decent hard working place. ?Did it pass?? I hear you ask, well of course it did so another year of pootling around trying not to be tempted pressing the LOUD pedal & in this car it really is a LOUD pedal!!!

Comment

• Removed the headlight level switch yesterday and replaced it with a blank from a Cavalier/Calibra. The aftermarket headlights don?t have motors so pointless having the switch fitted.

Oil change today so got the car raised and checked things underside before dropping the oil and fitting a new oil filter.

Thought I?d check the pollen filter as it?s been a couple of years and having a genuine spare in stock I had no excuse not to change it.

Make sure on refitting you slide the removable panel under the lip of the scuttle otherwise water will get under it and you?ll have a wet pollen filter and steamed up windows.

All in all an enjoyable few hours tinkering with the loud and brash mk3 V6. Popping down to Vaux Fest next Sunday so come and say hi.

Comment

• I had planned on popping the mk3 on the rolling road last week but on route it ran lumpy with a misfire so being over halfway there I continued and found no.1 exhaust manifold pipe was cold. I limped back home on 5 cylinders and with further checking found the DIS pack was not firing no.1. Fast forward to yesterday as a genuine new old stock early DIS pack for ?22 was sourced from a well-known auction site. It was promptly installed and works lovely.

Having got the misfire resolved I was booked in at my local rolling road today so popped over to DynoTech who are part of the AutoTech Group in Ripley Derbyshire, only 5 miles down the road from me.

The car was promptly popped onto the rollers and a power run/health check was completed. Thanks go to Kevin for looking after the old girl on the rollers.

The scores on the doors were 226bhp 196lbft on the stock Vectra B management. We also ran with the aircon on for my own curiosity and got 222bhp, I can live with a 4bhp drop in power when you have the coolness of aircon for the hot weather.

I?m very happy with the figures and know if I wanted I could get more with a Super Chips map but honestly, the car feels lovely to drive and hasn?t thrown any wobbles running on the standard out of the factory ECU and map so I?ll just leave it as it is??for now

Comment

• As the mk3 is still in its Winter hibernation she still got a treat today as I found a pair of Magneti Marelli boot struts part no.GS0076 going very cheap. These are much like the OE Stabilus version and have the extra damping before they reach full opening. It had a cheap pair on prior to this which just flung the boot hatch open at warp speed with no damping at all. Fitted, tested, job done.

Comment

• The mk3 is back on the road again for this year and last weekend rocked over a whopping 60K, it’s doing alright for a 22 year old motor. I’ve not had the opportunity to drive it yet as every time we go out in it the wife keeps saying she’s driving, yes it’s her car but I want a go life’s just not fair sometimes.

Last edited by Harvey; 26-04-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• I seem to remember Ian torque being wiggly like that, something to do with the flaps / vac solenoids for the variable length intake

Comment

• Yes you are correct Darren as around the 2,800rpm mark is where the vac operated intake flaps open and route the incoming air flows changes from the long route (going optimum low down torque) to the short route (giving high end torque). As the intake on the mk3 is so clean the flaps open very smoothly and you don't even notice it meaning the torque just keeps pulling you along. The best mod was the lighter flywheel as it drives just like a 4-pot and you can zip through the gears enthusiastically instead of lathargically which is what happens with the stock 15kg flywheel.

Comment

• Not updated this diary for a while but unfortunately I?ve got nothing exciting to report. Attended VBOA at Sywell with both of the wife's cars (Vectra VXR Estate now sold) and the Astra passed its MOT last month having covered just over 500 miles for the year. I've only driven the mk3 to the MOT and back this year but it was an enjoyable couple of miles. Plans are underway to tone down the exhaust as it's too loud and drones, we're getting old and want something a little more comfy on the ear drums. I also plan on digging out my mk2/mk3 LCD hybrid dash conversion and making progress as it's been on the back burner for way too long.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                            we're getting old and want something a little more comfy on the ear drums.
                            not old, just old.er

Comment

• Broke the mk3 out of Winter hibernation early January, it fired up with no dramas before going back to bed until Summer. I did however notice some very minor surface rust appearing to the front of the front nearside strut to inner arch join so I’ll get that sorted sharpish as it’s the only rust on the whole vehicle.

The painted exhaust tips worked for a while but alas, they have now seen better days so the rear box got removed last weekend.

The tips are now fully removable as of today thanks to PD Gough – exhaust manufactures who made the system for the mk3 5 years ago, how time flies!

Have no fear people as I have a cunning plan underway after having a chat with B & B Precision at Race Retro last Saturday. I’ll update soon…

Comment

• I’ve now stripped the paint from the tailpipes using a brass brush drill attachment then refitted the rear box to check bumper clearances.

Please to say everything is perfect and the rear box is much easier to fit without the tailpipes.

Looks a bit weird without them fitted and I’m sure it would melt everything so I’ll use a splosh of Loctite when doing the final fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X