No announcement yet.

1800 Turbo GTE from then to now!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well some of you may know my gearbox threw the towel in just after arriving at Shelsey Walsh last weekend at RetroRides fortunately I have the F20 box from the burgundy valver.

When we arrived

Then I went and got fuel for the journey home and the gearbox decided to die

Abeautiful place thou

And the sad veiw from the recovery truck

The F20 cleaned up

And in primer

Thanks for looking

Chris
    Last edited by 1800turbogte; 29-08-2015, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• That's a sod about the gearbox Chris. Nowadays I'm not 100% on what the 18E GTEs had fitted, was it the same F16/5CR as mine but with a higher diff ratio from memory? Not an easy 'box to source nowadays but hopefully you can get the old one repaired. Or it could be that the ratios (diff excepted) on the F20 are similar anyway, it's been so long since I drove either of mine I can't remember :-(

Still love this car, don't care if the gearbox has thrown in the towel ;-)
      Last edited by Pigeonrat; 30-08-2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• F20 is possibly the strongest gearbox on the planet. Now's a good time to chuck a F18 Cav Diesel 5th gear in? 2500RPM @ 70MPH FTMFW.

Comment

• yeah early 1.8 gte had the same gearbox as mk1, 3.7 diff instead of 3.55 of the later F16 and F20s

i dont think it would be the end of the world if you have fitted a 3.5 or even the long ratio version, got allot more torque that your average 1.8 !
          Last edited by DarrenH; 31-08-2015, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pigeonrat View Post
            That's a sod about the gearbox Chris. Nowadays I'm not 100% on what the 18E GTEs had fitted, was it the same F16/5CR as mine but with a higher diff ratio from memory? Not an easy 'box to source nowadays but hopefully you can get the old one repaired. Or it could be that the ratios (diff excepted) on the F20 are similar anyway, it's been so long since I drove either of mine I can't remember :-(

Still love this car, don't care if the gearbox has thrown in the towel ;-)
            I think its a f16 CR I dont know much else about it, my brother has an F18 in his Belmont CD I wouldn't mind that. But for now the F20 will do. On the ratio side will it rev less with the F20?
            When I took the selector off the F16 I found a big chunk of cog I guess about 13mm long or so, I think it could be more expensive to repair it if it's actually saveable that is.

Anyway sunday morning about 6.30 I painted it

It does need flatting back a bit as its a bit blotchy a bit like my eyes at that time of day lol. But we we're going to visit relatives for the rest of the bank hol wk end so i'l get round to it sometime.

Hmm the bottom looks better than the top it probably helped when I turned the preasure down.

I doubt it will get fitted this side of my holiday which is a shame

Thanks for looking and thanks for comments

Chris

Comment

• Our MK2s at Trax 2015

Lol

Comment

Working...
              X