DarrenHs' GTE16v, second edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DarrenHs' GTE16v, second edition

Yeah I get that, but you're effectively stopping the bushing from allowing the rack to move, so essentially ending up doing the same thing as solid mounting it by eliminating any side to side movement.

Or is this in addition to your traingle rack mount strenghening?

Comment

Originally posted by Astra Dan View Post
      Are you not concened that stopping the rack moving in it's rubber mounts will pass the stess onto the bulkhead mounts, tempting it to try and tear from the firewall? I think the solid mount doubled with the rod to the inner wing stop the stress being passed onto the bulkhead mount.
      Surely making both mounts share the load is better than only one, should prevent the drivers side mount from splitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony25 View Post
        Surely making both mounts share the load is better than only one, should prevent the drivers side mount from splitting.
        Yeah but it doesn't sound liek Daren's doing that, just butting up the n/s one.

Comment

it willl flex side to side as much as the rubber gives. the triangulation/plating will strengthen the bulkhead, as pictured.

on paper its only contributing to the work the drivers end will do, its not taking all the force.

Comment

I get ya.

Comment

TBH any mods to the bulkhead will help over the standard setup, will sharpen up the steering to, wish I had made the passenger side mount do some work when I did mine.

Comment

while its quite interesting, i'm not doing this out of boredom, or just for the upgrade, its part of essential maintenance and striving to make it better than standard.

the boxing/rack mount on the drivers end of the rack is a couple months away from a bid for freedom. there are stress fractures where its strip welded to the inner wheel arch, and cracks in the bulkhead
                Last edited by DarrenH; 23-06-2008, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Looks sensible Darren, although the reason I left mine alone was because I reckon what I've done is going to be fine for about another 100k miles. Could be wrong.

If I was going to do the NS, I'd repeat what I did to the NS of my OS mount, and put a fillet alongside, then braced that to a piece of angle laid at 45 degrees along the vertical bit of the NS inner arch. That way you've got the load shared along that inner arch, plus the rack mount supported.

I'll draw a pic...

Ian.
                  See my project car HERE.

Comment

i agree. i dont think the standard setup is incapable, in general. its the water sitting on the bulkhead for many years imho.

by water i mean saturated sound deadening on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
                      i agree. i dont think the standard setup is incapable, in general. its the water sitting on the bulkhead for many years imho.

by water i mean saturated sound deadening on both sides.
                      I agree, I've just ripped out all the sound deadening from my car to sort the engine bay out, its held water all the time its been garaged (almost 3 years), it was'nt sopping but was definately wet, suffice to say it wont be going back in, cars looking good Darren btw

Comment

Here you go... all that's missing here is a diagonal brace to the longitudinal chassis section from the beefed up NS mount...

My sketch isn't quite as I intended it, as I've rotated the angle that is stitched to the inner arch, it's supposed to lay flat presenting the angle inwards.

Ian.
                        See my project car HERE.

Comment

Gah. All this talk of sodden sound deadening scares me. I don't want to rip mine out.

Comment

Gah. All this talk of sodden sound deadening scares me. I don't want to rip mine out.
                            Me neither, but there's no doubt that mine was unneccessarily wet, after being under cover for a couple of weeks in warm weather.

Couple that with the fact that the corners of the bulkhead seam aren't welded, the water happily gets underneath the seam sealer and causes all manner of nastiness between the two panels.

I'd remove the deadening, then cut off the section that goes over that seam, so at least the whole raised seam is out in the open. it'll still be retained by the bottom row of press fixings.

Ian.
                            See my project car HERE.

Comment

Do it, astravanmk2 came over to mine with his 1.3 merit, no sound deadening, no rot, its absolutely spotless, proof indeed.

Comment

check out the skillz on ian !!! shading and everything lol.

nice concept though, i like that.

did you stich that offside mount pictured ian, or is that standard ?

Comment

Working...
                                X