Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension drop restraints ...

So here's a question:
    I'm looking to run the 8 valve track day car in for a VOSA (MOT) test and just doing some prep. With the lowered springs I'm running when you take the weight of the front (when its on the hoist for instance, legs drop and the springs float loose and free. I can probably ask the tester before I take it to the garage but should I fit some bowden cable restraints to restrict the drop preventing the springs being free?

It makes sense to do so really but is it likely to be a requirement?

L.
    Last edited by easytrans; 08-08-2021, 10:13 PM.

What diameter springs are they Laurie..?

On the coilovers I run 4lb flat helper springs for exactly that reason but not sure if you would get some in standard type size..

There is often a lot of confusion around tender springs and helper springs and the two are often mistaken for one another.
    My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Hmm ... Yeah that's a solution I'll measure up and see what if anything is available

Thanks.

Comment

Just a thought but to hold the front springs in place on the lower sprint seat you could always drill two small holes and use a ziptie on the lower pig tail part of the spring so it stays put against the tab on the spring seat it should be butted up against. The top doesn't matter as it'll align when lowered on the rubber top seat/top mount. I use a similar method on my rear coilovers but at the top of the spring to stop the slotted top mounts falling out when jacked up on full drop. Zipties are genuine motorsport approved fixing applicable methods...or so I've heard

Comment

Thanks Harvey, yeah that's an option, problem there is I always over engineer things so would probably end up making clips that bolt down on the pig tail ..... then find I use zippie's on it anyway :P

Drop restraint cables would be a fairly easy solution and its rare I find a humpback bridge where they would come into play but may satisfy the MOT tester when they have it on the ramp

L.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
            Just a thought but to hold the front springs in place on the lower sprint seat you could always drill two small holes and use a ziptie on the lower pig tail part of the spring so it stays put against the tab on the spring seat it should be butted up against. The top doesn't matter as it'll align when lowered on the rubber top seat/top mount. I use a similar method on my rear coilovers but at the top of the spring to stop the slotted top mounts falling out when jacked up on full drop. Zipties are genuine motorsport approved fixing applicable methods...or so I've heard
            albeit a metal strip and 2 bolts, this is what's fitted as standard on 1983-2016 defenders !

on a sub-note, the group A rally cars had droop stop cables, but not primarily for physically restraining, but to stop the beam and wishbones moving into unfavourable range of geometry !

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post

...... to stop the beam and wishbones moving into unfavourable range of geometry !
              Unlikely to have that problem ......, my bigger problem at the moment is finding time to do "anything" apart from keep moving the car back and forth to get it out of the way of yet another job that takes priority. I think now the extend of any work on the car beyond throwing on a new set of front disks, and maybe if I can find one, a seat change (or gaffer tape over the mouse holes in the old one) before a trip to Blyton early next month is the reality

Hey ho ....

L.

Comment

Well I found a moment or three late this afternoon, and threw on the new set of front disks. Obviously once the calipers were off its was clear this was needed

Better ......

Following the bottom rebuild some time back it appeared I had a shitty oil leak on the right side of the sump, like a div I thought ah well order a cheap sump of the Tinternet and a quick swap to resolve the issue .... Well typical it turned out the cheap sump is a baffle less one so although I fitted it, I'll swap it back tomorrow for the old one that had a dip in one corner that I hope is now resolved following a quick bash with the dead-blow hammer

While we are on the subject of oil leaks, let me introduce you to whats suppose to be my latest tow vehicle, Unfortunately though I bought it with a small leak it's turned into a nightmare job to resolve .....

And who would have guessed she was hiding this shitty lump under the hood .......

Anyway work in progress cam chain kit, oil pump,refit/seal mid sump section, new crank seals ad clutch kit.

Hence the lack of free time (along with constant flow of work from my client) ..... Hey ho

L.

So now you see

Comment

Working...
                X