• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Stereo originally came with the 88 GTE

Hi all
    I hope you are well
    I'm on the search for an original cassette/ radio as mine has never worked
    I've just been told the Phillips 752 I have wasn't manufactured until 93
    Anyone know what came originally please?
    Many thanks
    MP

'88 was the changeover year. At the beginning they would indeed have had a Philips DC752 fitted (black on gold LCD display and two knobs), or possibly a DC751 which was an option. Later cars on that year (certainly F-reg on) would have a DC670 (larger orange on brown transflective display and four knobs), with the DC681 as the option.

The way to tell which was fitted originally is whether the car has the original DIN plugs for it on the loom, with a wide flat power connector and 2-pin speaker plugs, or a modern-style ISO single connector block. If the original plugs have been cut off (sadly quite common), you can usually still tell as the early radios had no black ignition live in the loom, whereas the later cars did. Alternatively the aerial plugs rarely get cut off, and the early radios took the DIN-style long thin pin aerial connector, whereas the late ones took the ISO type aerial connector which looks similar to a TV aerial plug.

Hope that helps!
    My current fleet!
    1989 Astra GTE 16V
    1985 Astra 1600SR
    1991 Astra Mk3 1.4LSi "The Shed"
    1984 Opel Monza 3.0 GSE
    1984 Porsche 944 Lux
    1986 Toyota MR2 Mk1a

Comment

Will take a look thank you and any ideas where I can find a replacement please

Comment

Probably just the usual suspects eg Ebay, Gumtree. From the sound of things you have a DC752 already, but if it turns out it's the DC670 you need they do still pop up on Ebay fairly often, there's one on there now in fact, albeit with a slightly dodgy display. The 751 or 681 upgrade sets are undoubtedly better, particularly the 681, which has a more powerful amp and proper bass/treble controls. Unfortunately because of this, and the fact that they were standard equipment in the GTE 16V and Cav GSi2000, the 681 sets tend to be quite expensive now when you do find one.

Your biggest problem really is finding one in good working order now, 30 years of dust, vibration, damp winter and baking summer car interiors and general abuse has killed most of those which weren't ripped out in the 90s and 2000s. All the original decks were built down to a price and suffer from dodgy flywheels (the famous Philips death clicking!), pixellated displays and blown illumination bulbs, although even the posh stuff like Blaupunkt and Panasonic from the era are just as likely to have problems. I had mine refurbished and repaired by a guy in Brighton a few years ago, but I'm not sure if he still does it (or still has the parts!). It's easy to say just fit a newer, better set, but having the right original radio for the car is just one of those little things nowadays which gives a bit of satisfaction. Certainly nobody can understand why I've started recording CDs onto tapes again!
        My current fleet!
        1989 Astra GTE 16V
        1985 Astra 1600SR
        1984 Opel Monza 3.0 GSE
        1984 Porsche 944 Lux
        1986 Toyota MR2 Mk1a

Comment

Astra IMG_4797.JPG

Here is a picture it looks like the 2 pin speaker and white power block are off the original loom and I think i remember them all being plugged in the back of the stereo

Not sure about the black block connector?

Many thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Yup, that's the original loom for a DC752 or 751. Rare to see one unbutchered!

I'm trying to think what that black block connector could be. I'm going back a long time to the E-reg 1.3 I learned to drive in, but if it's an '88 car it *might* be for the dim-dip relay maybe? This is mounted behind the ashtray from memory...
            My current fleet!
            1989 Astra GTE 16V
            1985 Astra 1600SR
            1984 Opel Monza 3.0 GSE
            1984 Porsche 944 Lux
            1986 Toyota MR2 Mk1a

Comment

Mk2 cavaliers are an alternate source

Comment

Thank you

Comment