No announcement yet.

Astra GTE Headlamp - Bumper Rubber Seals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kris I will be taking the car out for a spin during the course of tomorrow so will let you know how I get on and whether I still have them on the car when I get back.

If I remember when I was stripping the car down as part of the resto the two original perished ones that were still on the car didn't seem to be glued in place or have any remnants of any adhesive and just pulled off.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdezzer View Post
      Did you not use anything on them to fix them in place? Otherwise they will come off with the wind pressure won?t they? I need to fit mine but could not decide what to use to ensure they don?t come off again
      Hi Kris well took the car out for a circa 25 mile run this week on varied roads including an element of motorway driving and dare I say in excess of motorway speed. When I got back home I had a quick look and the seals were still firmly in place and had not even moved at all.
      I guess the real proof will be when I take the circa 140 mile drive to VBOA in a couple of weeks and if they are still attached by the time I get there then Its fair to say they are not likely to be falling off anytime soon. Famous last words !!!

Comment

depends how generous they are with the depth on the channel i guess. but yeah originals are stuck on (with what looks like contact adhesive, kind of rubber white beige stuff)

Comment

Hello guys,
          this is Steffen from Germany, owner of a 16V. As I was looking for some spare parts, I found your thread here. Great job and I'm really impressed on your efforts !
          I've checked ebay.co.uk if the seals are still sold but unfortunately couldn't find them by part no / description. Do you guys know if they still have them in stock ?

many thanks in advance,
          best,
          Steffen

Comment

These are still on ebay, they are item number 323278399030

Comment

Thank you mrdeezer, found at ebay but they don't send to Germany via ebay. Now sent an email as I can't find it in their webshop.

Comment

Hi Gambla if the guys at East Kent Trim that produce these don't come back to you on email let me know as i know them quite well so can call them on your behalf if you want.
                There is no reason why they wouldn't post these out to Germany for you if you are speaking to them direct. Let me know how you get on.

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-...DTna:rk:2:pf:0

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                    Hi Gambla if the guys at East Kent Trim that produce these don't come back to you on email let me know as i know them quite well so can call them on your behalf if you want.
                    There is no reason why they wouldn't post these out to Germany for you if you are speaking to them direct. Let me know how you get on.
                    Thank you very much, Clive. Unfortunately I haven't heard back from them. I gave it some days as they might be busy but no response until now.

Comment

Originally posted by gambla View Post

Thank you very much, Clive. Unfortunately I haven't heard back from them. I gave it some days as they might be busy but no response until now.
                      Hi Gambla I spoke to Steve who runs East Kent Trim today and explained you are trying to purchase these rubber strips and require shipping to Germany. He has promised me that over the weekend he will change the settings on his ebay account to enable worldwide shipping rather than just UK. Hopefully by Monday this will be sorted out and you will be able to make the purchase.
                      Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you very much, Clive ! Really appreciated ! Let me know if you guys need help with anything from Germany.

edit: Just ordered two pairs. I'm happy to get these rare parts but ? 64.00 postage seems a bit expensive.

Comment

Hi Gambla the guys at East Kent Trim did say that if the shipping comes in very expensive they would refund you the difference between what the actual postage is to Germany and what you have actually paid. So you should get some money refunded back to you. If you don't drop me another note and I will give them a call and get it sorted for you. Reason being the postage is set for worldwide postage so just naturally sets it up for the worst possible scenario locations (Australia, South America etc etc)

Comment

Hey Clive, thanks again for all your help here ! Just dropped you a pm.
                            cheers,
                            Steffen

Comment

Hey guys,
                              as I just told Clive per dm, I'd posted about the reproduction-seals in our Kadett-Forum and the feedback was massive ! They are really excited and I reckon about 10 - 15 guys will now order the seals in a collective order. I've promised to thank Clive and everyone involved on behalf of them for your great initiative to get these reproduced ! Also a huge thank-you to the guys at East Kent Trim for doing this as I'm sure not every company would take the risk and do that, not to forget for a reasonable price.

If you guys have anything we might be able to help with from Germany, don't hesitate and drop me a line. The only thing that just comes to my mind is that some of our guys, using a 3D-printer, were able to reproduce this (notorious) thin frame of the onboard-computer as well as the frame of the (inside) "door-opener". As I'm not sure about posting links here, just let me know
                              if you're interested.

cheers,
                              Steffen

Comment

Hi Steffen, glad you and the guys on the Kadett forum found this useful. I guess from originally contacting East Kent Trim the whole process from them working from an original seal to actually reproducing the replica part was around 12 months. As far as i am aware he had ran off around 50 seals but can obviously get more once this first batch is sold. When i spoke to Steve at East Kent Trim last he said he had sold around 20 - 25 so far, so he has plenty in stock if you are planning on ordering 10 - 15.

In addition i have enquired to see if they can replicate the rear quarter opening window seals on the GTE/GSI as these are now like "hens teeth" to get hold of, but it is early days yet. Some of this stuff takes months to go through the reproduction and tooling process so if you know of anyone in Germany still stocking or actually reproducing them the guys over here will snap your hand off for any!!

I think the idea of 3D printing certain parts that can be relatively easy to be reproduced is definitely an opportunity for the future and worth exploring as the technology advances especially as it is getting harder and harder to find an ongoing supply of OE parts for our cars.

Stay in touch as its always great to hear from you guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X