Astra GTE Headlamp - Bumper Rubber Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astra GTE Headlamp - Bumper Rubber Seals

Hi All just thought I'd let you know that I've managed to get East Kent Trim Supplies in Ashford to reproduce the obsolete rubber seals that fit between the bumper and the underside of the headlights on the GTE. Working from an original that dancedj on here lent me as a pattern East Kent Trim have now been able to finally have a load of these run off. The original rubber seal is 410mm long but will be sold as a continuous length of around 900mm so enough to do both headlights. I'm told the price is ?22 plus postage for the seal and all you will need to do is trim them to length. Below is a couple of pictures of a sample I got given me before they run them off so you can see the profile (the original is the seal on the right in the pictures). The link to their website is below. Just ask for Steve or Wendy.

http://www.eastkenttrimsupplies.com/ Tel: 01233 500280

This is a direct replacement for GM Part No 90191351 or Opel part No 1400700.
    I'm told East Kent Trim are going to have a trade stand at the VBOA national rally this July too so they will probably be on sale there aswell. Alternatively they will also be listing them on ebay but slightly more expensive to cover ebay fees etc.

As I don't do facebook if one of the admin guys can link this across for general interest.

20171210_161759.jpg20171210_161809.jpg20171210_160313.jpg

Last edited by Clive; 29-05-2018, 02:00 PM.

Very interesting. Thanks very much, think I'll look into this, I had to remove mine a few years ago as they were so brittle and perished...
    ​​​​​​
    ​​​

Comment

Yes a job well done after I supplied an original thanks for all your work Clive.

Comment

Hi,were these a aerodynamic aid?

Comment

Nice one Clive! I'll defo order one, and I'm sure mr dobson would purchase some too

Comment

Originally posted by STEVEBOXER View Post
            Hi,were these a aerodynamic aid?
            Yes, all part of improving the aerodynamics - these were one of the first cars where the frontal area was carefully sealed to only allow the minimum amount of air needed to cool the engine, no more, no less. Early non-GTE models had them molded as part of the soft and flexible front bumper, but since the GTE bumper is made out of polycarbonate this was not possible, hence the seperate seals. Many cars have lost them over the years due to deterioration or accident damage.

Comment

Thanks Pigeonrat

Comment

thats cool ! i remember seeing their stand at billing 2016 and being quite impressed with their door seals, which even had the extra lip to hold interior trim panels.

unusually the base models (facelift ones anyway) had these aero strips built into the bumper itself, i.e made of same stuff as the bumper

Comment

I'll order some some clive.....

Comment

Definitely getting some, mine are on the way out

Comment

Originally posted by laney View Post
                      Nice one Clive! I'll defo order one, and I'm sure mr dobson would purchase some too
                      No worries Laney i had actually been talking to these guys for nearly 12 months. Getting the profile to match and the tooling to run them off has been the time consuming bit but got there in the end !! I did text Mark the other day just to let him know they had eventually got them in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
                        thats cool ! i remember seeing their stand at billing 2016 and being quite impressed with their door seals, which even had the extra lip to hold interior trim panels.

unusually the base models (facelift ones anyway) had these aero strips built into the bumper itself, i.e made of same stuff as the bumper
                        Hi Darren yes as I been chatting to these guys over the last 12 months or so just to get these headlamp seals reproduced they have been telling me that they have recently had a couple of meetings with Vauxhall and more recently the guys at the heritage centre with the view to getting hold of the original design drawings to reproduce a larger number of rubber seals and bits of rubber trim across the general Vauxhall / Opel range. So in time we might start to see amongst all the rubber trim and seals on our cars things like the rear quarter window seals and side bump strips reproduced where they are currently obsolete. Steve at East Kent Trim is also quite a Vauxhall / Opel fan and owns amongst other cars an Opel Manta which he is currently restoring so I guess that all helps with the Vauxhall / Opel interest theme. One of the things to note and that he made me aware of is that any rubber seal that is reproduced now has to meet European legislation in as much that the rubber now has to be manufactured using biodegradable properties. So essentially a reproduced rubber seal will never last as long as an original manufactured from 25 yrs ago but that's the EU rules for you !!

Comment

Be good to get hold of some new good quality door seals, I have windscreen and rear screen seals new and rear quarter seals and headlight seals but not managed to track down door seals in charcoal. I have read recently that Peugeot Citroen have started to reproduce parts for classic models ie 205 GTI the parts that are hard to come by. Hopefully as they own Vauxhall Opel now they might do the same.

Another good thing for Kent to reproduce would be the figure of 8 rubbers that sit on the underside inside the white clips

Comment

Not sure if anyone has got round to fitting these yet but picked my seal up last week and just finished fitting mine tonight. After cutting the rubber seal to length circa 400mm I found the easiest way to fit them was to unbolt the front indicator unit and remove it. You can then see a slight lip at the rear edge of the bumper. I used this lip to start feeding the rubber seal along its channel and underneath the headlight unit. I also used a bit of silicone spray in the channel of the seal to help ease it along the rear lip of the bumper. Depending on how much of a gap you have between the underside of the head light and the top of the bumper you might need a small pair of long nose pliers just to help pull it along the channel as you feed the rubber seal under the headlight. There is even just enough room on the underside of the headlamps to refit headlamp protectors if you have them.

20180619_194509A.jpg

20180619_194458A.jpg20180619_194514A.jpg20180619_192506A.jpg

Comment

Did you not use anything on them to fix them in place? Otherwise they will come off with the wind pressure won?t they? I need to fit mine but could not decide what to use to ensure they don?t come off again

Comment

Working...
                              X