Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gm to sell Vauxhall Opel To PSA

Let's hope not?*

Hmm...I'm not sure what's going on with GM, it seems very odd to me. They tried to sell off GM Europe back in 2009 but pulled out at the very last minute, and then shortly after bought a chunk of Peugeot. They've now sold this back and it's now looking like it's swinging the other way.

I'm not sure what to think about this. Putting a positive spin on it, the current range is a little stale - with the exception of the latest Astra, which I have driven and is excellent - and with the exception of that car, GM seem to be being a little half-arsed of late. The Insignia was good when new but pretty past it now, and much as I'd love to be polite about the Mokka I'm clutching at straws really. I was genuinely surprised when the latest Corsa proved to be a facelift of the previous model from 2006, it seemed bizarre when it's now the biggest selling product and the Fiesta is so strong. It's possible that Peugeot might bring something different to the table. As a previous owner of a 106 and 406 coupe I quite like Peugeot and, provided you gloss over the rubbish they built from 2000 until about 2012, they can be as unfairly maligned as Vauxhall by "certain people".

But on the downside, it would be the end of nearly 100 years of GM ownership and there is no guarantee the Vauxhall name would survive. To be fair GM have seriously considered killing Vauxhall in the past several times and never actually done it, but with our obsession with German products here it may well be that Opel would carry more cachet. Ironically Opel seems to be the problem profit-wise in the rest of Europe whereas Vauxhall do much better. Either way I fear Ellesmere Port would go and that would be a real shame.

On balance I would rather it stayed with GM, but I'm prepared to look for positives if it doesn't. Business is business and they don't come much more hard-nosed than GM, who presumably would kill off Buick and possibly Holden since they are based on Opel architecture. Time will tell I suppose
    ​​
    My current fleet!
    1989 Astra GTE 16V
    1985 Astra 1600SR
    1991 Astra Mk3 1.4LSi "The Shed"
    1984 Opel Monza 3.0 GSE
    1984 Porsche 944 Lux

Comment

we had an insignia sri estate after m'lady crashed her mondeo. cramped interior, weird rake on the tailgate so its actually not much bigger than an astra, its also the most uncomfortable ride of any car i've been in to date, -60mm gmax lowering kit on a mk2 harsh

Comment

Out of our control let's hope they don't rebrand it as Pugvaux
        See my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Astramk2parts for New & used parts for sale!

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
          we had an insignia sri estate after m'lady crashed her mondeo. cramped interior, weird rake on the tailgate so its actually not much bigger than an astra, its also the most uncomfortable ride of any car i've been in to date, -60mm gmax lowering kit on a mk2 harsh
          I bought a Vectra C 07 rather than an Insignia for those reasons.

No crash though...
          James C

Comment

I have a mate who works in the fleet department at Luton so will have a chat with him and post back what I find out.

Comment

Going ahead, unless there's a last minute change of heart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39161173

Sad news after 92 years, and possibly not the wisest move by GM, but I dare say they know better than us - no presence in Europe any more at all seems odd, following Saab and Daewoo/Chevrolet, and no mention of what happens to the Opel-supplied Holden or Buick either.

Still, it's worked for VAG, and it's worked for Nissan, so maybe there's a bright future for Vauxhall/Opel too. Perhaps when the deal is published GM may have an option to buy them back once the dust has settled...
              Last edited by Pigeonrat; 04-03-2017, 10:07 AM.
              My current fleet!
              1989 Astra GTE 16V
              1985 Astra 1600SR
              1984 Opel Monza 3.0 GSE
              1984 Porsche 944 Lux

Comment

according to wiki its already happened !

erm! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupe_PSA

"The talks were in an advanced stage, but were a surprise to the press and to much of Opel's leadership as they had plans to transform the company into an electric-car-only brand using the platform of the opel ampera for a wide range of models"

its not even close to april 1st yet ?

Comment

Electric-only is interesting. It's not really my cup of tea (I like gears and noise!) but the Ampera was well received...they could possibly get a jump on the market here if they could market something along the lines of a cut-price Tesla.

Interesting. But why would Peugeot not want to be that pioneering brand themselves I wonder...

ETA: If you believe Wikipedia it seems like they're on the verge of buying Proton (and by extension Lotus) as well. Who'd have thought Vauxhall and Lotus would come under the same umbrella once again? Lotus Insignia anyone?!
                  Last edited by Pigeonrat; 04-03-2017, 01:07 PM.
                  My current fleet!
                  1989 Astra GTE 16V
                  1985 Astra 1600SR
                  1984 Opel Monza 3.0 GSE
                  1984 Porsche 944 Lux

Comment

Working...
                  X